Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much water can i go through?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much water can i go through?

I just bought my disco 2 about 1 1/2 months back and it bone stock, it has the 18" rims with street tires. I have never taken it through water before, but land rover suggests that you go no more than mid axle height. I was wondering if i could go through deeper water than that or will i hurt something? I am planning on getting better tires theyre calledAT grabbers. Has anyone tryed these out? While im here I have another question, The other day rolled my window down(power window) and when i tryed to roll it back up there was a thumping sound and the window wouldnt budge. Could this be the power window motor going out or is it an easy fix? I have it parked in the back of my house with a garbage bag over the window so please help.
Thanks in advance

Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: How much water can i go through?

Your window regulator has failed, if you are fairly mechanical you cna change it out your self. You can by a new one or go to
http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....S&Category=411 and get a good used one cheap.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Mudding

Luckilly i have a warranty but the land rover dealership is about 1 hour away and havent had time to go but ill be going out that way this weekend.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you go through deeper water, the hot diffs tend to suck cooler water in through the seals. You can go through deeper water, but make sure you have a good quality oil in everything and check your fluid when you get off the trail. I went through water that was about 8" up my doors. I was ok. My fuse box got wet, but it was from washing it on Sunday. (leaky windsheild finally got enough water through.)

Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Aren't there breathers on the Disco2 axles, gearbox and transfer box then?

Provided there are breathers like the disco1, defender and RRC and the tube (always provided they're extended ones) is clear then it's not gonna suck water past an oil seal, but rather air in through the breather - that's what it's there for. Of course, if your seals are shot or the breather or breather tube is blocked then it'll pull stuff in through the seals - if that's the case though I'd expect it to be pushing oil out past the seal during normal highway use.

Well worth changing axle, gearbox and transfer oils far more often than the service schedule specifies if you're using it off road, particularly in water.

Cheers,

Old 09-12-2007, 05:15 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My owners manuals said center of hub thats for NAS Land Rovers.
The V8's are not water ready, more's the shame.
So play it safe your CD player will thank you.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Camel Trophy

you guys have CD players?mine's not that fancy..

Old 09-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

you guys have CD players?mine's not that fancy..

haha yeah when i first got mine i saw CD on the radio and i COULD NOT find the cd player and i gave up, and one day noticed a small compartment under the seat and there was a 6 disc changer I was very suprised. YeahI think ill just play it safe with the water situation and keep it mid axle height.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Camel Trophy

yeah, I went too far for that this weekend. I don't have power seats or cd, so I am ok. If I had it, I would be worried. On a truck this old, the door seals aren't the best.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

yeah, I went too far for that this weekend. I don't have power seats or cd, so I am ok. If I had it, I would be worried. On a truck this old, the door seals aren't the best.
Wait you had water come in through the seals in the door? Did it mess up the interior any?

Quick Reply: How much water can i go through?