Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove oil separator without removing valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

see if you can catch it with a sheet rock screw of something simular, you have nothing to lose. The worst thing that can happen is you have to pull the VC, you might get lucky and get the rest out.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I bypass this oil separator

Originally Posted by drowssap
see if you can catch it with a sheet rock screw of something simular, you have nothing to lose. The worst thing that can happen is you have to pull the VC, you might get lucky and get the rest out.
does anyone have pictures how it look like on inside valve cover? can oil separator drop into valve cover or just sits there? can I bypass this oil separator and run an oil capture bottle? or it needs suction from intake manifold?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes it just sits there.
Technically yes you can by-pass it, you would just run a hose from the valve cover towards the bottom of the truck and vent the crankcase gases to atmosphere and then plug the vacuum port on the intake plenum.
Thats how they used to do it in the old days.
Just remove the valve cover, clean out the oil separator port and put it back together.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 928paul
does anyone have pictures how it look like on inside valve cover? can oil separator drop into valve cover or just sits there? can I bypass this oil separator and run an oil capture bottle? or it needs suction from intake manifold?
This was my thought once until I pulled the cover and looked at it. There's a metal baffle that is riveted to the inside of the valve cover, no real access unless you want to grind the rivets off and then figure a way to reattach it. What I've done since then is use a brad point wood drill bit, somewhat smaller than the diameter of the tube and by hand use it like a roto rooter in a drain. I then use a pointy vacuum attachment on a shop vac and suck the broken pieces out.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
This was my thought once until I pulled the cover and looked at it. There's a metal baffle that is riveted to the inside of the valve cover, no real access unless you want to grind the rivets off and then figure a way to reattach it. What I've done since then is use a brad point wood drill bit, somewhat smaller than the diameter of the tube and by hand use it like a roto rooter in a drain. I then use a pointy vacuum attachment on a shop vac and suck the broken pieces out.
I also did the drill + shop vac. I drilled out less than one radius on either side of the oil separator as to preserve the central rod while relieving the pressure around the perimeter. Then it came out with one light tug with the needle nose pliers.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,457 Likes on 1,033 Posts

BTW, I learned through experience with some twisting you can remove the entire steel tube - then remove baffle on the work bench. I figured this out because 03's have a restrictor disc in the top that prevents removing the baffle.