Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012 | 03:58 PM
Foe
Drifting

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Foe - I'm a little confused about what you're describing on the sunroof indentations, and the use of weights during drying, and "perfectly formed/flat areas". Are you saying that your headliner no longer has the obvious sunroof indentations?
I apologize for taking soooo long to answer this, I missed this question. Although it won't help you now, it may answer questions others may have.

I was referring to areas in the actual fiberglass/foam headliner (under the felt material) that became deformed over time. I didn't remove the indentations that are formed into the headliner that are there for vehicles with sunroofs. The actual fiberglass/foam board was actually sagging across these "sunroof indentations". If you looked at the board from the side, you'd see a raised/bowed area of approximately 1/2" high.

When the headliner board was cleaned and wet, the board becomes highly flexible. During the drying period, I placed weighted objects in this bowed area and forced the board to dry against a flat surface. In short, you can take out a little warpage that you may have in the board when it is damp, during the drying period.

Old 12-17-2012 | 11:33 PM
Mudding

Are the pictures not working for anyone else? Just curious because for me it says they are temporarily unavailable. Planning on doing this tomorrow morning!

Old 12-18-2012 | 08:52 AM
|
Baja

Originally Posted by ashtray
Are the pictures not working for anyone else? Just curious because for me it says they are temporarily unavailable. Planning on doing this tomorrow morning!
webshots turned into smile so im not sure whats going on trying to sort it out today for you mate

Old 12-18-2012 | 09:42 AM
|
Baja

think i got it now

Old 12-18-2012 | 06:10 PM
Mudding

Okay the pics are working thanks hilltopper. Ran into a problem. Here it is.

So Everything has gone great and as it should. But in the back middle seat the dome light with the sunroof switch wont come out. I got the light and harness out but the sunroof switch is a pain to get at. I feel a thick wiring loom that is very stuff and also I feel metal like a bracket or something. Any ideas on how to remedy this? It is a 2001 SE Disco. No rear AC. Just the dome light and dual sunroofs. I tried pushing down on everything but it just moves the entire plastic construction as one. HELP! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ashtray; 12-18-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-18-2012 | 08:56 PM
|
Baja

Yeah that switch does suck. Look at the drawing in my write up. You need to push it out from behind then you can disconnect the wiring loom and you are home free

Old 12-18-2012 | 10:36 PM
Mudding

So what comes out, the button or the plastic bezel housing the button? What should I feel for to push down on?

Old 12-19-2012 | 02:02 AM
|
Baja

just the switch. you will feel the back end of the switch. it's deeper then it is wide and will have the wiring hook up off the back.

Old 12-19-2012 | 03:54 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
just the switch. you will feel the back end of the switch. it's deeper then it is wide and will have the wiring hook up off the back.
Okay. Will feel for it tomorrow on sunrise. I'll inform as to what the outcome is.

Old 12-19-2012 | 02:44 PM
Mudding

So I got every trim piece out and it is really to be taken out. BUT. How do I losen the from A pillars and also where do I start when removing it?!? This is scaring me because I do not want to break it...

Quick Reply: How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2