Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Remove Underbelly Panel on '03?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Remove Underbelly Panel on '03?

I was getting ready to change coolant on my '03 today and couldn't get the underbelly panel off to access the lower radiator hose. After looking up a couple posts here there seems to be 2 options - either remove the drag link and steering damper or jack the front up at the frame. I don't have the proper tools for either at this time so I have a couple questions to determine the path of least resistance:

1] Do I need to remove BOTH the drag link and the steering damper to take the underbelly panel out? It looks like just removing the steering damper MAY yield enough space.

2] RAVE shows a special tool to remove the drag link from the drag arm. Can a 2 jaw puller be used instead? If not what can I use?

3] I have a 2 1/2 ton floor jack but no jack stands. Before I go out and buy some jackstands just for a coolant change does raising the front make taking the underbelly panel out SIGNIFICANTLY easier than the drag link and steering damper removal?

Thanks.
Alan

Old 05-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, the cover serves no purpose other then getting in the way and addingh additional heat to the engine compartment. That being said, tear it off, throw it away, I did it 7 years ago as many others have done.
See!!

Attached Thumbnails How to Remove Underbelly Panel on '03?-dscf0023.jpg  
Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Mudding

Nice picture Mike!

One more question to help with my decision - I've ordered the "tall" K&N oil filters 3001 after researching the forum. If the underbelly pan isn't going to fit with the tall filter then it makes my decision REAL easy.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It'll still fit with that filter. I'm running that filter and still have the belly pan on my truck.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Mudding

Update: I managed to remove the underbelly pan after removing the steering damper. It took some bending and pulling and I put some small cracks in the pan in the process but it's intact for the most part.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Drifting

I didn't have to remove anything to get the pan off.....just took some looking around and figuring out the best path to get it with a few twists and turns.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Mudding

Good for you 03Disco. I couldn't figure that out.

Just curious - is your truck lifted? Was your truck on jackstands?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

I pulled the pan on my friends 04 by removing the steering damper. I removed MINE by bending it until I snapped it a couple pieces. Neither times were the Discos lifted nor on jack stands.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Mudding

It sounds right jycsalas. I consider myself fairly mechanical-minded and I was just very very surprised that anyone can take the underbelly pan off an '03/'04 in one piece without removing anything. Yes I agree that after I took the steering damper out the pan came out just fine with moderate force.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Drifting

I had mine on a lift when changing the oil at work. I took it off in ONE-PIECE and had it off for a months and put it back on about a month ago in ONE-PIECE. All it takes is a little finagling and a couple of shifts in direction but it is possible.

Quick Reply: How to Remove Underbelly Panel on '03?