Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How sync BCU to door regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 01:53 PM
TReK
Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts
Default How sync BCU to door regulator?

This is the second time in a couple of years that my drivers door window went too far down and off the bottom of the gear rack. I disassembled it and reinstalled it, then selected the window to fully up and held the switch in the up position for about 2 seconds. I then touched auto down and the window promptly went off the bottom of the gear again. Does the vehicle have an issue or am I doing something wrong?

Old 06-09-2023, 05:28 PM
TReK

I tried ACG’s trick of an empty 1 litre bottle. This does stop it, but I don’t think it has any intention of stopping electronically.

Old 06-09-2023, 05:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 832 Likes on 606 Posts

Here's what the RAVE says.

There is no "synching". The BCU stops the motor when the window reaches its up or down position based on detecting an increased electrical load. Sounds like something physical with your window regulator. I haven't had a regulator out of my truck in years, but I'd start with inspecting the physical stop that should be hit when the window is fully down.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,431 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Yeah, if it is coming off track there is something wrong with the regulator. I don't have one out of a window at the moment but there is something built in to it to make it stop.

Old 06-09-2023, 07:24 PM
TReK

Thanks guys. It looks like I’ll need to get a new regulator

Old 06-16-2023, 02:16 PM
TReK

I got my new regulator and it all seems to work properly now. I ordered the aftermarket one from Paddock Spares. It fit and works perfectly. Let’s hope it lasts a long time.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:40 PM
TReK

Ok, it didn’t last a long time. The window opened too far again. I cut an old pool noodle to fit at the bottom of the door to provide a nice soft stopping point. Does anyone foresee a problem that this may cause?

Old 07-14-2023, 12:59 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Hi Harv,

It has been a few years and my memory may fail me. The same window failed me twice within a one year period.

I originally replaced it with just a regulator and kept the original motor. This was when I used the plastic bottle trick pre-caution (it was a suggestion from someone else in the forum). It failed a few months later on one of the Roverlanders outings.I remember running the next couple of days with my driver's window down in dusty conditions. Not fun.

I ended getting a new (second) regulator and new motor. I found a great deal then to just get the complete set. This did the trick. I did not have much time to diagnose why first replacement regulator did not work well with the old motor. My hunch was the plastic gears in the old motor were worn.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:52 AM
TReK

Thanks for that. Do you think I’m asking for trouble with the pool noodle in there?

Old 07-14-2023, 09:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by acg
...when I used the plastic bottle trick pre-caution (it was a suggestion from someone else in the forum)...
Interesting use for the foam bar, I like it and see no problem. I "invented" the 1 litre plasic bottle trick (capped !) as a down-stop/cushion and has behaved flawless several years since.

Quick Reply: How sync BCU to door regulator?