Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hub nut removal and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Finally. Someone gives the easy answer.
Thanks Zack

Old 09-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Wish they were that cheap in the UK.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

This thread reminds me of loosening the crank bolt on my wife's Accord for a timing belt job the other weekend. I'm 5'9" and 140lbs. In theory, the bolt was only at 181lb-ft, but I had to use a 3 foot long 3/4" breaker bar inside a 6 foot iron pipe that weighed at least 40 lbs. I had that combination rotating at least 45-60 degrees a few times before I heard a loud BANG!!! I thought I had broken the breaker bar (again) but the bolt was finally loose. ...and that was after 1/2 can of Deep Creep and my propane torch.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Hey CHARLES. Do you remember the "rattle upon acceleration" you and I were talking about on another thread? I found half of mine when I crawled under the front and found that the 4 MAIN nuts holding my bumper to the crush cans were all only a .5 to .75 of a turn from coming off the studs completely!! I have no idea how long they have been that loose but I have never been so surprised, shocked actually, to still have my bumper right there where it's supposed to be. Especially with all of the bumpy *** roads I travel around town. I may go back through with thread locker but I overtightened one and it snapped. Possibly 2. I would have to tap the studs out, enlarge the diameter and get new bolts. That is a ****ty project if you ask me. There should be no reason for it but that's your damned Land Rover. Always causing trouble

Old 09-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
This thread reminds me of loosening the crank bolt on my wife's Accord for a timing belt job the other weekend. I'm 5'9" and 140lbs. In theory, the bolt was only at 181lb-ft, but I had to use a 3 foot long 3/4" breaker bar inside a 6 foot iron pipe that weighed at least 40 lbs. I had that combination rotating at least 45-60 degrees a few times before I heard a loud BANG!!! I thought I had broken the breaker bar (again) but the bolt was finally loose. ...and that was after 1/2 can of Deep Creep and my propane torch.
LoL. Good story

Old 09-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
260lb/ft is a good deal less than will be needed to loosen a hub nut that's been torqued to 360 and been like that for 10 years.

Did no one notice that he said he owns a heavy truck garage and has two torque wrenches he can use. And no doubt tools for removing much tighter nuts than on his hubs.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Exactement at 360 lb/ft most available retail torque wrenches are highly inaccurate anyways.
It is an "Armstrong Industrial." I don't know what it cost but it is beefy. Big. I'm the first person to use it.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Re: expensive tools that can be found on amazon.com.....

A little bird told me that is very easy to order them, use them, wipe them down, and return them for a full refund.

Ditto on Harbor Freight.

Prime is a beautiful thing.

This covers most anything you ever need for working on these pigs.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Hey CHARLES. Do you remember the "rattle upon acceleration" you and I were talking about on another thread? I found half of mine when I crawled under the front and found that the 4 MAIN nuts holding my bumper to the crush cans were all only a .5 to .75 of a turn from coming off the studs completely!! I have no idea how long they have been that loose but I have never been so surprised, shocked actually, to still have my bumper right there where it's supposed to be. Especially with all of the bumpy *** roads I travel around town. I may go back through with thread locker but I overtightened one and it snapped. Possibly 2. I would have to tap the studs out, enlarge the diameter and get new bolts. That is a ****ty project if you ask me. There should be no reason for it but that's your damned Land Rover. Always causing trouble
Well destroying a rattle may be worth going bumperless!!! I hate rattles!!!

I'd forgotten about bumper studs. My original bumper is such a faded memeory I can't remember what it was made of. Cheese probably. I did however, just take a mushed bumper off of another rover to replace with an ARB. If you need any bolts from it let me know.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-05-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
Re: expensive tools that can be found on amazon.com.....

A little bird told me that is very easy to order them, use them, wipe them down, and return them for a full refund.

Ditto on Harbor Freight.

Prime is a beautiful thing.

This covers most anything you ever need for working on these pigs.
Hahahhahaa that's funny!

When I rented a ball joint set it was NICE. 200 dollar set. There was a problem with the clamp so I took it back and they grabbed a brand new set off the shelf. Now, with the rentals scheme at auto parts stores I was basically paying full price (which I never do, for anything). After I was done with it stood, staring at this perfect one owner set and had to think about whether I wanted to take it back! Once a tool is mine I never want to return it!

Quick Reply: hub nut removal and replacement