Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hub nut removal and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
Re: expensive tools that can be found on amazon.com.....

A little bird told me that is very easy to order them, use them, wipe them down, and return them for a full refund.

Ditto on Harbor Freight.

Prime is a beautiful thing.

This covers most anything you ever need for working on these pigs.
It won't take long before Amazon wises up and cracks down, making it difficult for legitimate returns.
Sort of like Paypal doing now and cracking down on "gift" transactions.

Save returns for legitimate returns, not for free rental.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
260lb/ft is a good deal less than will be needed to loosen a hub nut that's been torqued to 360 and been like that for 10 years.

Did no one notice that he said he owns a heavy truck garage and has two torque wrenches he can use. And no doubt tools for removing much tighter nuts than on his hubs.

I've done it several times with that exact gun...it's served me for a couple years. My boss(snap-on only guy) even borrows it for large jobs on his commercial tractors.

It dims the lights when I use it...and has no problem getting these hub nuts off.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
260lb/ft is a good deal less than will be needed to loosen a hub nut that's been torqued to 360 and been like that for 10 years.

Did no one notice that he said he owns a heavy truck garage and has two torque wrenches he can use. And no doubt tools for removing much tighter nuts than on his hubs.
Well, "garage" is the right term, I guess. We have a two story 120 foot long shed at the truck yard that has tool areas on the right and left. It is open on both ends so critters can get in. But it has a heavy metal floor and the rigs are repaired there. I'm just not the one doing the repairing and I can't even drive the trucks. So there are a lot of tools there but I don't know how to use most of them and I want the trucks working more than I want to upgrade the rover. There are owners, there are operators, and there are owner operators. I'm an owner only. When oil is expensive, it is a pretty good gig. Now? Not so much. Good thing I have another business.

Having said that, I did manage to change out four hubs last night. Sadly, they were on my friend's land rover (I call it the "practice rover"), so I have four more to do. The huge torque wrench and breaker bar still require all of my weight and then some but it is doable as long as someone keeps their foot on the socket to keep it from coming off.

At 48 years old I have to say that there may be a de facto 4 hub per week limit. I have urged my body to repair itself faster but have yet to receive a response.

Honestly the biggest problem I have had is getting the notch undone on the stake nuts and holding the hubs still when I use the wrenches. I just have someone stand on the brakes (so I need a second helper). I don't want all of the going to my gears.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-05-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I've done it several times with that exact gun...
I guess the specs on the gun are way underrated or the hub nuts were tightened to "as much as I can" rather that 360/lbft. I've never seen a fastener take less torque to remove than the specified installation torque.