Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am gonna blow my engine!!!! Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry I am gonna blow my engine!!!! Please help!!

2004 Disco II 108k miles....

I did a head gasket job a couple months ago and had it checked by an imports pro specializing British vehicles.. Everything checked out but he did say that when it sat on the lift overnight that it left a puddle of antifreeze on the shop floor. He said it was most likely the timing chain gasket. I have not replaced that gasket yet..

Now here is my problem!!
I cannot drive more than 2 miles without the temp hitting the red zone. I take my water hose and stuff it into the reservoir and pull the bleed screw out and make sure that all of the air is out of the system!! Then I pull the radiator hoses and stuff them full of water until they drown. I put the cap on the reservoir and drive off. I am overheated in 2 miles and I can put my hand to the center of the radiator and it's cold to the touch but warm/hot at the edges! Yes the thermostat was replaced with OEM during the head job!!

I never get any heat from the vents anymore whatsoever and when I stop to refill the fluid it's much like "Ole Faithful" and is just one huge blast of steam that seems to last for 10 minutes.
I don't understand how I can fill a truck full of water, yes the oil is full, checked that, and still not get any heat from the vents?? When I hit the brakes I hear some popping and clacking from underneath the dashboard, I am assuming the heater core. I pulled the line and forced water through them until I had a solid stream for 5 min. Still no heat from the vents but I still overheat!!

I am at a loss and I am gonna blow this engine, if I haven't already, if I can't figure it out. I have no option but to drive it or get fired from my jobs but if it blows up I am really screwed!!

Any thought guys??

Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this engine goes the truck is scrapped... Don't want to lose another Disco II, but I am not gonna pay for a replacement engine when the tranny is acting up like it is.. Help me save this Disco II please..

Old 02-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your water pump working? Do you notice the smell of coolant from the front of the engine? Bad water pumps usually seap from the weep hole on the front of the engine making you think it could be a gasket.

Thermostats usually fail in the open position depriving you of a heater, but still keeping the engine cool. So it's probably safe to rule that out.

You probably shouldn't be driving it until you find out what's going on.

Also, if it's been in the red, you might have suffered some head warpage ruining all the recent work. Sucks, but just sayin'.

Last edited by meltdowndave; 02-08-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you need to stop driving it. or you are going to destroy that engine. it can be a few things, your radiator can be clogged and flowing slowly your leak can be a multitude of gaskets including throttle body and water pump.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Your block is junk and is allowing combustion gases into the cooling system. You most likely need a new block.

Sorry to give you the bad news.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cobbcj7
2004 Disco II 108k miles....

I did a head gasket job a couple months ago and had it checked by an imports pro specializing British vehicles.. Everything checked out but he did say that when it sat on the lift overnight that it left a puddle of antifreeze on the shop floor. He said it was most likely the timing chain gasket. I have not replaced that gasket yet..

Now here is my problem!!
I cannot drive more than 2 miles without the temp hitting the red zone. I take my water hose and stuff it into the reservoir and pull the bleed screw out and make sure that all of the air is out of the system!! Then I pull the radiator hoses and stuff them full of water until they drown. I put the cap on the reservoir and drive off. I am overheated in 2 miles and I can put my hand to the center of the radiator and it's cold to the touch but warm/hot at the edges! Yes the thermostat was replaced with OEM during the head job!!

I never get any heat from the vents anymore whatsoever and when I stop to refill the fluid it's much like "Ole Faithful" and is just one huge blast of steam that seems to last for 10 minutes.
I don't understand how I can fill a truck full of water, yes the oil is full, checked that, and still not get any heat from the vents?? When I hit the brakes I hear some popping and clacking from underneath the dashboard, I am assuming the heater core. I pulled the line and forced water through them until I had a solid stream for 5 min. Still no heat from the vents but I still overheat!!

I am at a loss and I am gonna blow this engine, if I haven't already, if I can't figure it out. I have no option but to drive it or get fired from my jobs but if it blows up I am really screwed!!

Any thought guys??
Stop driving the truck, walk till you get it fixed and if you want help, send me your number and I'll call you today.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are most likely not bleeding the system right. Have you checked for leaks as well?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2... The system needs to be properly bled (bleed?) that is why you hear gurgling under the dash...

(I hate centered text!)

Old 02-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude seriously. Go buy a $500 POS off craigslist and park your truck. Drive the POS to work until you can fix your truck. Why do you think I have 4 cars in my sig?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tornado_735
Dude seriously. Go buy a $500 POS off craigslist and park your truck. Drive the POS to work until you can fix your truck. Why do you think I have 4 cars in my sig?
car insurnace must be cheap in Ohio....

Quick Reply: I am gonna blow my engine!!!! Please help!!