Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I apologize but I just cant find the thread on muffler replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 02:49 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default I apologize but I just cant find the thread on muffler replacement

Someone posted recently a pic of a replacement muffler (main one) that is an almost perfect fit replacement. Does anyone remember? It was a Borla or Magnaflow or? I am sorry again. I tried numerous keywords with no luck when searching.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Magna flow has to be welded on, but I love em. My muffler guy does a brilliant job & it sounds great.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Magna flow has to be welded on, but I love em. My muffler guy does a brilliant job & it sounds great.
Did you just replace the main one and and go straight pipe with the resonator?

Old 11-28-2018, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Ditched the resonator, and center magnaflow only. I’m a petrol head and you just gotta hear a V8! It’s got a nice sound, and it’s not to loud. Also doesn’t drone, off road it burps n pops in 4lo 1st gear when engine braking like a hot rod V8/sports car.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Ditch the resonator and go with the Borla XS Pro. Sounds allot better than the magnaflo.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
Ditch the resonator and go with the Borla XS Pro. Sounds allot better than the magnaflo.
This is what I'm hearing and will probably go with. My Muffler isn't bad but the exhaust pipe is ratteling against the "diff vibration dampener"(?) and plate steel bumper, so while I'm down there why not.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I put magnaflows on my daughter's rigs. When they heard the Borla setup on mine they had their trucks changed out. The sound can't be beat.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Unless Borla has fixed their stuff you won't see me running one of their exhaust. I had a Borla setup on my first D1 and I paid a lot for it. Installed it, and yes it did sound good, but maybe 3 months later it started to rattle really bad inside the muffler, a baffle had broken loose. I called Borla and they had me go to a local shop that sold Borla exhaust. I showed them proof of purchase, and then they tried to tell me it was improperly installed. I fought em on that as I did it and I had no issues installing it nor did I mis-handle it. After nearly 2 months I heard back from them and I was told to go back to the shop I had stopped by. They installed a new Borla muffler (not the entire setup like I had paid for), and it was okay, but it rusted up pretty quickly and overall I was not impressed for the $$$$. The magnaflow does not sound excessively loud vs say a flowmaster, but it's SS is very good quality with perfect welds/construction. I don't want my LR to sound like a Dodge Charger, a Corvette, or a Mustang, it's not a sports car, but I wanted the V8 to be noticeable upon WOT or idle and it does just that perfectly along with a resonator delete.

I tried a flowmaster on a 94 RRC I had and it sounded more like a 60's hot rod all the time no matter if at idle or under load. At WOT it just sounded like a bunch of noise vs V8 music.

There are several different Magnaflow mufflers you can use with a slightly different sound. I also heard a D2 not to long ago with the main muffler removed and just the resonator in place that didn't sound to bad.

When it comes to exhaust it's kinda more of a personal sound and everyone is different.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I like my Magna Flow muffler with the resonator delete. It does has a little drone right now as I have my back seats removed, planning my sleeping platform / pull out kitchen build. Once that's in it'll be barely noticeable.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:38 AM
Winching

These are all great. The thread I'm trying to find had a pic of the muffler with a flange (like our muffler)

Quick Reply: I apologize but I just cant find the thread on muffler replacement