Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought an 04 Disco yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I bought an 04 Disco yesterday!

Hi all,

I finally did it...after months of researching and reading, searching and looking, I purchased an 04 Discovery! I'll post pics soon, but for right now, I have a question.

I KNOW this is all over the board, but as I'm a bit short on time...I'm taking the Disco to a driveline shop this morning to have the ds rebuilt. What exactly do I 'order' from the shop? They're very experienced, but you know how us noobs are- after reading enough stories on here, I want to know EXACTLY what to tell the shop to do...

Please help me form a 'list' of stuff to do on the rebuild and what to look for (rotoflex? rear ds?) while he's looking under the Disco. Thanks!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris143007
Hi all,

I finally did it...after months of researching and reading, searching and looking, I purchased an 04 Discovery! I'll post pics soon, but for right now, I have a question.

I KNOW this is all over the board, but as I'm a bit short on time...I'm taking the Disco to a driveline shop this morning to have the ds rebuilt. What exactly do I 'order' from the shop? They're very experienced, but you know how us noobs are- after reading enough stories on here, I want to know EXACTLY what to tell the shop to do...

Please help me form a 'list' of stuff to do on the rebuild and what to look for (rotoflex? rear ds?) while he's looking under the Disco. Thanks!!!
BTW congrats on purchase!

Tell them to replace the ujoints with ones with grease fittings and replace centering ball too. If they tell you they "look" fine; get them to replace anyway.

Last edited by brooksa; 01-22-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok, driving to shop now.

1. Greasable joints- how many?
2. Balance
3. New centering ball/kit- that how to describe it?

How should fittings be positioned? I've read different tips

do I ask shop to check roto flex? Rear ds?

Shop also only uses spycer and neapco

Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Before you do anything, find a shop that can do a double cardone drive line, if they scratch their heads stay away from them, get an estimate first for replacing 2 u-joints with greaseable ones and a new centering ball. If the estimate is over $250, they are getting in your pants. You can but a new Tom Woods drive shaft for $350 and it is much better then factory and a lot less since Rover now gets over $800 for a new shaft with the same issues.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok, just dropped it off at drivelinesinc.com

I asked Wade, the owner, about the three main things- 3 greasable joints, new centering kit and balance and he said yep, yep, yep.

I asked about the double cardon line and he said "well that's what u have"...I sensed he was amused at my questions and wondered where I got them all from, lol...

Please look at his site and let me know what u think...this is supposed to be a simple job...

Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So what was his estimate?????????????????????????
Don't do anything without an estimate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Three Wheeling

Lol...ok! He's going to call me first before any work is done

Old 01-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok folks,

The estimate is $315 to rebuild the DS..includes 3 greasable u-joints, CV kit (this is the new centering ball, right?), straightening, balancing, tax, etc.

This also includes R&R the ds.

I had wanted to R&R myself, but I don't want to be driving the vehicle around without doing this (don't wanna take chances). Vehicle has 74k miles and the ds was something the indy LR mechanic mentioned in my pre-sale inspection report.

What do you think about the estimate cost? I wanna call the guy back. Did anyone get a chance to visit the company website? This guy does ds for alot of hi-profile vehicle, so I'm putting some stock into that...

Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats probably the average price for them pulling it out of the vehicle. You could of saved yourself $115 by pulling it out and installing it back yourself.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah, I think he mentioned $65 for the R&R yesterday...which puts the rebuild at $250...fair price I think.

Since I'm a noob, I probably wouldn't have tried to rebuild it myself yet, but I did wanna try and R&R it, but it's raining like crazy here and I don't wanna drive it around much at all till these things are done.

So, should I call and give him the thumbs up?

Quick Reply: I bought an 04 Disco yesterday!