Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't have one yet but should I?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Matheson
What part of the country are you? I'd suggest spending some time in person with a Disco owner before you get close to buying one.
I'm in Los Angeles, California. Everytime I see one parked I hope to see the owner come out to it to ask them some questions. But I'm never able to catch them.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

A Disco is like a beautiful woman in that they always require attention. Actually, more like a beautiful woman with a severe case of bi-polar disorder because no matter how much attention you pay them, they can never be trusted.

Honestly, I have had alot of luck with several of them. I have no regrets.

The following users liked this post:
Papag1313 (09-13-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I always tell people $2000 a year is your maintenance budget no matter what you pay up front for the truck. That is a long term average... Some years may require more, others less. The more you do yourself the less that will be also. But in reality that is probably pretty close, counting tires, brakes, fluid service, then of course head gaskets and engine replacements. Just because these are relatively cheap to purchase now doesn't mean you can treat or service them like a cheap car.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@Linx as to engine swaps you are pretty limited:
  1. There is an LS swap option just become available you can read about in these forums.
  2. You could import a TD5 diesel from a UK Disco
  3. Or rebuild with a Turner long block
The last 2 are expensive at least in Canada, 9000.00 for TD5 installed. More for a Turner.

The 4.6 is really not that bad it, is an sleeved aluminum engine that suffers from 3 basic problems :
  1. Poor coolant flow
  2. Limited overheat - overhead in stock configuration. Basically when it starts to overheat you have limited time to shut down
  3. A Temperature gauge that is little better than an idiot light so you do not get good warning
I like mine it runs wells and goes pretty much everywhere I point it, but @Dave03S is right budget 2000 a year for repairs. Then leave the left over the bank, I have done that with every vehicle I own. I do not fret about repairs that way.

If you plan on doing any amount of off roading get AAA with at least a 200 mile tow range that includes Forest service roads. It is going to be at least a 15 year old truck unexpected stuff happens, that 150 a year can save you a butt load of money in towing charges

Linx (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 11:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 820 Likes on 538 Posts

I've had great luck so far in my 3 years of D2 ownership and done quite a bit of work to her as things wear out and need to be replaced. I also wheel mine fairly hard and there are no "easy" highway miles where I drive mine in CO. Biggest issues I've had haven't been most of what has been mentioned but more old wear items going bad such as- bushings, idler pulleys, steering rods, and ball joints. The kind of things that regardless of mileage it's still a 15-20 year old vehicle and things can/will break at any given time and it's a never ending cycle (true for any vehicle that old however).

Linx (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

It really depends on your budget. If they have been properly maintained, kept in a garage they can be reliable. As someone who keeps their car outside I think it really beats up the car in terms of rust etc. but any old vehicle can have that.

A low mileage DII is not the most desirable. The most desirable is one that has had a Sleeved Long Block from a reputable builder like Turner put in, or has been LS swapped. Or buy one for dirt cheap and do one of the swaps. You can get some well upgraded Rover V8 long blocks from builders I started a thread with a list. Or you can find multiple good LS options with ACe’s help.

If the truck you find has the option b fix on the ABS pump that is a plus. If it has the inline thermostat mod even better. If you are going to do serious off reading then maybe get one with the CDL already in it.

Rust free is a big deal too, inspect the rear frame rails.

Linx (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 11:54 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. You've been a great help (but keep it coming). Being that I've been dealing with BMW's I regularly see the same comments such as "run away from them" and such. I'm not trying to be insulting to the guys who made those comments to me for the D2. Trust me I can relate to what you're saying. But even with the Bimmer guys, I think those warnings are better for people who don't wrench on their cars. I enjoy wrenching on mine and wouldn't have an issue with wrenching on a D2. I'm not a master mechanic, but I'm YouTube Certified. Not scared of taking on a new task. I've got some reading and researching to do on this info you guys filled me in on. I would wanna switch between driving the D2 and my Bimmers every few days. But I have a feeling I'll end up enjoying the D2 more due to a higher position and better visibility. And ofcourse I'd like to wheel it and use it for the handful of times I go camping each year.

While, like I said, I need to do some studying, I'm kind of liking the idea of an LS swap just for the sake of reliability and long term cost. Because other than a D 2 the next choice would be a 4Runner. Way more reliable but not as beautiful.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Discos are one of the easiest cars you'll ever work on, which is good, because you'll be working on it a lot.

A lot of getting the most out of one will be proper preventative maintenance. I change my oil every 6 months, which for me amounts to about 500 miles, but it's just easier to be sure. Stay on top of your plugs and wires, change your coolant, brake fluid, and transmission fluid at least every 2 years. Most of the major problems with these vehicles start with not looking after the minor things.

And frankly, get a vehicle without rear air suspension, rear AC, sunroofs, and ACE. It's all just overly complicated stuff that will cause you headaches later.

With regard to the engine, an LS swap is attractive because it's more reliable; the sensors are the same as the stock engine, so you can run it on the same ECU; and you'll get more power on regular gas. I would also look into regearing to take advantage of that and increase your gas mileage; Discos run at fairly high RPM at highway speeds because of how weak the engine is.

Your primary wrinkle is going to be ensuring that your LS swap is smog legal, since you live in California. This is going to be especially difficult if you get a 2003/2004, which has the 4.6L with secondary air, which will be deleted in the swap. My understanding is that in order to be legal, the original vehicle must retain 100% of the factory emissions equipment.

Last edited by Jason Feuerstein; 09-11-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Linx (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 820 Likes on 538 Posts

If it comes down to a 4R or D2 it's not even a question in my mind. Having wheeled with a bunch of 3rd gens the D2 is way more comfortable and more capable imo. The solid front axle is a huge bonus esp when comparing stock vehicles. All I know is I can't help but have a big *** grin on my face every time I get in my D2 to drive it, there's just something special about them. Also a 3rd gen 4R is gonna require a lot of the same initial maintenance as they are just as old and more likely more beat up..

Old 09-12-2019, 01:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

If you don't have a time consuming hobby yet and you want one, get a D2. It will change your relationship with automobiles completely - in the negative as well the positive way.

Quick Reply: I don't have one yet but should I?