Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I feel like a kid on Christmas morning...

I just picked up my new ARB bumper for my '03 Disco. I get sales alerts from 4Wheelparts.com and they had a 10% off sale sitewide, so I ordered it on-line and with the discount and sales tax it came to just over $1000. I had it shipped to thier store near me and did not have to pay any shipping costs which I figured was a pretty good deal. The sales guy asked me if I had picked out a winch yet and I told him I was thinking of the Smittybuilt 10X because I had read good reviews and the price was right and he told me they don't work with the ARB bumpers because the lever on the winch can not be re-clocked to face forward when installed. He recommended Warn and not Mile Marker (which I had also read bad reviews of). He also explained that the bumper has to be off to install the winch so unless you want to do it twice get the winch before intalling the bumper. So, today I did some internet searching and found a great price on the Warn Premium Series M8000 with cable and roller fairlead. Ordered it from a place called Truck Accessory Liquidators for $599 with free shipping and no sales tax!

My rock sliders are on order and should ship this week and I've priced out the HD OMEmu springs and shocks and will order them later this week. I received my EBC green stuff pads and new rotors last month. I also ordered an ARB snorkel from 4WheelSupply.com for $397 which is also a good price.

I figure I will just do everything at once since they all require working around and underneath the car. I'll try to take pictures and post the method used and results!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Not to totally pop your bubble, but the 8000 is a little light for a really stuck disco, 9000# plus is a better choice along with daul batteries to give you all the pulling power the winch can put out.
Also, Consider plating around both sides of the crush cans to give you extra suport and strengthe, other wise the ARB can twist and bend on a hard off angle pull.
Send us pictures of the completed project.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:11 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can get away with using that 8,000 lbs winch but you have to use a ****** block everytime..so don't get stuck too far from a tree.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sweet Chris, sweet man.
Cant wait to see pics.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, how I wish I had money. There was a time when I did but those days are quickly becoming a distant memory.

Definitely post some pics when you get everything installed. Put your suspension on before your winch and bumper so you don't have to fight all that extra weight while doing the install. If possible get some pictures of the snorkel install process. That's one thing on my list that I would really like to have some idea of what's involved before I do it.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet a deer wont think those 8000 are weak "BANG RIGHT IN THE KISSER" "BANG RIGHT IN THE KISSER"! Show some pics BRAH!