Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel like I'm in over my head.. Please.. Help..

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I feel like I'm in over my head.. Please.. Help..

Ok, background info.. I brought my truck into a independent German motors shop because she was leaking oil like there was no tomorrow.

Truck was running fine! I was also gunna have them look at sunroof seals because I had a feeling they needed replacing.

Three weeks later, this all was done:

- Left Idler Pulley
- Right Idler Pulley
- Acc. Belt tensioner Assembly
- Oil Pan Gasket
- Front Main Seal
- Rear Main Seal
- Valve Cover Gasket
- Rear Left Window Regulator
- Power Steering Return hose
- Power Steering Suction hose
- Intake Plenum Gasket
- Axle Seal
- AT Rear Seal
- Sunroof Seal
- Exhaust Manifold gasket
- Oil Filter
- Mobil 1 0W-40 Fully Synthetic Oil

$2,415.24- Warranty took care of

$458. 53- Out of pocket..

I got the truck back last Friday and the window still didn't work, the SES light was on and the I needed the STUPID radio code because they disconnected the battery.

I asked them about this, and they said that they had replaced the window regulator, and now, it was the window motor. The SES light was because the O2 sensors were corroded (3 weeks ago, no light, truck was fine).

I took the truck back in this past Monday to get the code for the radio, replace the O2 sensors and to replace the window motor.

I get the truck back today, the SES light STILL on and they told me that there was a short that was making the O2 sensors defected (they replaced them 3 times in one week), i still couldn't get the radio code because of the stealership, and now!!! there was a LOUD low noise whenever I would press the accelerator. I asked them about the noise and they said it was because I put the wrong fluid in when I changed out the power steering fluid. [I did EXACTLY was DiscoMike said about the Lucas and the Valvoline PS fluid] They told me that it was the wrong fluid, and after they changed out the fluids it started making that noise.

Ok, I am really almost ready to throw in the towel here.. The shop owner told me that he had NEVER used any other fluids other than the one recommended by Land rover, and hes had his LR's forever. [ but when he replaced the fluids, it just happened to make those ugly noises]

Now I'm guessing that its a PS/ACE pump gone bad????

ALSO, he told me that my Suspension pump was what was creating the high pitched noise at around 70 mph...

Please help me.. I have no idea what to do...

Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: I feel like I'm in over my head.. Please.. Help..

Take a deep breath.

Do you still have your manual? CHeck and see what fluid is recommended for the p/s with ACE. Make sure it is what they put in there. The shop replaced both of your hoses and probably just didn't get all of the air bled out of the system when they re-installed them. Doesn't mean your pump is bad. But..... they just replaced all of you idler pulleys and belt tensioner. The added tension could be putting more stress on an already bad pump. Just try not to get worked up and don't let them bully you around.

Is there another shop you can go to get the codes read?

Aslo, I don't have a D2, but isn't the motor part of the regulator? What year again?

We all get like this from time to time and all I can say is this too shall pass. Try to get the codes read and see what fluids you should have and get back on here..

Good Luck

Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Mudding

You are a God-send..

I'm only 20 years old, and my parents from time to time get upset, not at me, but at the cost of these repairs.

They told me tonight not to worry about anything, and that it will all get taken care of, I just don't want to be an extra burden.

Anyway, so yes, I've got my owner's manual and it says Texaco Cold Climate PAS Fluid 14315- GM part No. 12345866, 12345867 (amber color)

The fluid that they put in was the "genuine land rover power steering/ACE fluid". Its the black bottle with the beige and green front.

What I'm confused about is that before they changed the fluid, it was just fine. no noise what-so-ever.

I did exactly as Disco Mike had said with the Valvoline Synthetic and Lucas power steering additive.

The owner of the shop told me that any red colored fluid was transmission fluid, and that that should never go into the PS/ACE.

The only other place in a 100 mile radius is the dealership, and I've already had HORRIBLE experiences with them.

Thanks again for your words. I hope this soon boils over, and that my beautiful truck is back to normal!

John-Robert

Old 12-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The red tint in you fluid was the Lucas. Nothing to worry about.

I get really excited at times when I hear a different clunk or tick. I know how you feel. Hope it all works out

Old 12-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

I get really excited at times when I hear a different clunk or tick. I know how you feel. Hope it all works out
Yeah tell me about it LOL! I find myself driving the Disco with the radio off more than on as I listen for "new" noises.