Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have two options. Not sure what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have two options. Not sure what to do.

Well, I will be getting the engine for my 1995 Disco tomorrow. It been sitting in my garage since November patiently waiting.

A friend of mine is getting me a 3.9 V8 for $600 out of a 1991 Range Rover. The engine is good, I think the Rangie is just rusty as hell.

The story is this: The 3.9 in my Disco blew a head gasket, and was overheated. I know the instant reaction is going to be "dropped cylinder liner"...but I'm not so sure.

When the head gasket blew, the #8 piston got really hot and began to melt, and sort of spackled aluminum to the cylinder wall. Whoever was driving (it wasn't me) stopped, and had it towed to a dealership who tore it apart and started seeing money signs. The owner said 'hell no' and towed it home to be parted out. It was in the process of being parted out when I saved it. I wouldn't save just any Discovery; this one is a 5-speed.

I don't know what kind of condition the heads were in; they disappeared before I got the truck. Right now, it is torn all the way down to the short block, all I can see is the tops of the pistons and the camshaft and lifters.

What I want to know is this: Does an overheated motor almost guarantee that a cylinder liner has dropped? Looking at the #8 cylinder, other than being lightly scored from where the piston melted, it doesn't look any different than the other cylinders. I don't think the liner was disturbed by the overheating, since it wasn't prolonged.

Would anyone else here do what I am thinking, and try to salvage the short block?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would personally replace the whole lot, then strip the old block down and fit some new top hat liners in it and either sell it on or keep it for a rainy day!!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What UP said times two. Too many things the naked eye can't see. I have gotten burned that way in the distant past(youth).

Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Add one more here. The liner could have dropped and the piston is now on the up-stroke, making it "look" ok. Can't tell until it is heated and loaded. I would scrap the block.