Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know, I know, another 3 amigos post. But I really need your guys help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 09:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts
Default I know, I know, another 3 amigos post. But I really need your guys help.

I'm about ready to drive the disco into the sea.

After chasing down this code (front-right sensor output intermittent) by replacing the hub, two short-length ABS sensors, and then finally today installing the really expensive ABS sensor that goes from the wheel all the way directly to the SLABS, the amigos persist and it's the same code.

For today's wire, I cut the original front-right sensor wire that's in the yellow connector, and left about 5 inches. I soldered the new wire to that pigtail.

Anyway. I'm at a loss. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but the amigos didn't exist until one fateful evening, I was driving down the freeway in a rainstorm, hit a pothole, and the car freaked out and threw the amigos and the rough-road P(1590?) code. It's been the same issue ever since, despite all the repairs.

The ABS module is new too.

Anything? If not, anyone want my disco? lol

Old 08-19-2020, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Kinda funny my 04 (which I don't drive as I'm keeping as a time capsule) actually just started doing the same exact thing last weekend. Like I said I haven't driven it, and it's got the longer ABS wires (done by previous owner) which run straight to the SLABS unit. Well I cranked it up to move it (working on the 97 XD) and I get the 3 amigos upon startup.... I pull out the Nanocom and I got the same exact fault. Cleared it, single ABS light comes on, drive it until it see's the input from the sensors and the ABS light goes out. Park it for a day or two, start it up and bingo without the D2 even moving. I did have a low battery so I slapped it on a trickle charger, so I'll see if just low voltage was driving it nuts.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:41 PM
Pro Wrench

Dude. SAME. The single ABS light comes on, drive until its sees input from the sensors, ABS light goes out, and then sometime later the amigos arrive. I checked battery levels too. All good. I'm at a total loss. I guess next step is buy a new SLABS unit? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 08-19-2020, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

I've got a spare SLABS unit I can try to swap out tomorrow and report back. I'll also check the connections on the ABS sensors at the SLABS as someone kinda hacked em together.... Funny it's the same exact fault = has happened 20 times and this is upon startup without it moving lol.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

I thought on the Nanocom that, for instance, a fault on front right ABS really meant a fault on left rear ABS?
I think I read that on some forum it was a firmware glitch. I got to find it again...

Last edited by JUKE179r; 08-20-2020 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I remember that, but not certain which firmware that was on. I know the 1.35 I'm running is still not on their site.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:38 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I thought on the Nanocom that, for instance, a fault on front right ABS really meant a fault on left rear ABS?
I think I read that on some forum it was a firmware glitch. I got to find it again...
If this is true, 2020 officially wins.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts
Old 08-20-2020, 09:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
For today's wire, I cut the original front-right sensor wire that's in the yellow connector, and left about 5 inches. I soldered the new wire to that pigtail.
Why not run the new wire all the way to the SLABS as it was designed to be installed? I agree splicing it in "should" have the same effect since the fronts don't pass through any other connector, but maybe there's a problem at the SLABS connector.

A few years ago my truck had an SRS fault (driver airbag). I replaced the airbag but that didn't correct the condition. I then carefully checked continuity all the way back to the DCU under the center console and eventually found a short in the connector itself! I still don't understand how that was the case, but I swapped in another connector and that solved the problem.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mln01
Why not run the new wire all the way to the SLABS as it was designed to be installed? I agree splicing it in "should" have the same effect since the fronts don't pass through any other connector, but maybe there's a problem at the SLABS connector.

A few years ago my truck had an SRS fault (driver airbag). I replaced the airbag but that didn't correct the condition. I then carefully checked continuity all the way back to the DCU under the center console and eventually found a short in the connector itself! I still don't understand how that was the case, but I swapped in another connector and that solved the problem.
I tried to remove the pins inside the yellow connector, but no luck. They're in there pretty good and I didn't want to risk making an even bigger problem of somehow breaking the connector.

Quick Reply: I know, I know, another 3 amigos post. But I really need your guys help.