Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I made a Custom front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:35 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default measurements

If you could send or post measurements that would be great. Or possibly scan your existing drawings as a pdf file and post on the site. My bumper has been broken for far to long but my professors in the MBA program I am in don't allow enough time to do the measurements my self. I have wanted to learn how to weld for years this will defiantly give me an excuse to learn and practice. If I ever make it to FL I will defiantly owe you dinner!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Regarding a post on front skid plates, don't waste the time and money, cause the chances of you ever hitting that high is very slim.

Attached Thumbnails I made a Custom front bumper-dscf0023.jpg   I made a Custom front bumper-dscf0037_2.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Administrator

As for making your own bumpers, I have been a big one on supporting anyone in building their own unique bumpers, to make more of a one of a kind Disco look. Here are a couple of pictures from 9 years ago when a friend of mine and I designed and made my bumpers.

Attached Thumbnails I made a Custom front bumper-dscf0054_1.jpg   I made a Custom front bumper-dscf0056.jpg   I made a Custom front bumper-dscf0060.jpg   I made a Custom front bumper-dscf0059.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thebloody
Dude awesome job, I take it you weld on a regular occasion?
Thanks man. I do a bit of welding mainly roll cages but this was my first bumper.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
As for making your own bumpers, I have been a big one on supporting anyone in building their own unique bumpers, to make more of a one of a kind Disco look. Here are a couple of pictures from 9 years ago when a friend of mine and I designed and made my bumpers.
Those bumpers look really good. I still need to make my rear bumper, but the pics show a very simple way to make it. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cfp_ivan
Thanks man. I do a bit of welding mainly roll cages but this was my first bumper.
I'm toying around with the idea of making my own roof rack, but right now my welds look like bird crap so I need to practice more before I spend all that money on the steel.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cfp_ivan
Those bumpers look really good. I still need to make my rear bumper, but the pics show a very simple way to make it. Thanks for the feedback.
Send me an e-mail address and I'll send you a bunch or rear bumper picture taken when be built.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One last question cfp_ivan, where did you get the steel from and how much did it run you? I've been looking at Mcmaster Carr but I am wondering if there are cheaper places out there.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:18 AM
4wd Low

Mike, I would also be interested if could save me some time and send me your sketches or measurements for your front bumper design as well it would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at purchasing another Disco II in the coming months and if I have to make one might as well use the tax return and make two! My email address is uscholde@hotmail.com
Thanks for your help and support once again guys!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by thebloody
One last question cfp_ivan, where did you get the steel from and how much did it run you? I've been looking at Mcmaster Carr but I am wondering if there are cheaper places out there.
The best place to get steel is at a steel yard that will sell to the public. I made a bumper similar to Disco Mikes. You need 17ft of 3/16" 2"x4" tube stock. It cost me about $110 for that piece. After that the guys at the yard gave me all the scrap I needed to weld. Bring them a 6 pack of beer the 2nd time you go back and you probably can have all the steel you want. Ask them if they have any 'drops' you can have or for a good discount. Steel is really cheap. You should have about $200 in materials depending on how detailed you get, and how many sanding wheels it takes to make your weld look nice. If you have a Harbor Freight anywhere close its the best place to get 4 1/2" flapper wheels. 2 grinders are a plus and knotted wire wheel to knock off the slag.

Rear Bumper by Dave

Custom Rear Steel Bumper Completed w/ HLC Tire Carrier Video Drool On! ( 1 2)

Last edited by bosshogt; 01-31-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: I made a Custom front bumper