Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I made new keys

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 12:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

If you still have the factory key with working buttons but the fob is all chewed up, there are cheapo cases on eBay for like $5, and you just transfer the internals and Ace Hardware will cut it to match your factory key for free. This is what I did, and it works great. Fantastic use of $5 to get a nice new key that didn't have the shell coming apart.

Old 08-13-2023, 06:09 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only had one key so needed to male a couple spares and want the remote Fobs too. Would be too easy to just be able to swap the case. Always more work then you want 😉

Old 08-14-2023, 12:58 AM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How did it go?

I haven’t been able to work much on my disco the last couple of weeks, but I think the x431 has promise. Live data and all that stuff.

Old 08-14-2023, 12:08 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by nineyards
How did it go?

I haven’t been able to work much on my disco the last couple of weeks, but I think the x431 has promise. Live data and all that stuff.
I'm still waiting for the X431, looks like it was shipped from china. DHL shows it a couple of days away still. Will report how the keys work once I get it.

One thing is i have ebay keys and they did not have a 315mhz rating. After going in circles with the seller he said rhey were 315mhz but they may have no idea so 50-50 they are what is needed...

Old 08-14-2023, 12:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

FWIW, while it's nice to have a working keyless entry handset or two, please note that you can lock, unlock, start and drive a DII with a plain metal key that does not require programming of the BCU.

The ones I know about are the Ilco RV4 and the RV4-P (plastic cover on the head).

They are inexpensive and commonly available, and any locksmith and most hardware stores can cut them for you. I have a few of them, plus a couple keyless entry handsets.

The following users liked this post:
nineyards (08-14-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 02:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I was going to try the eBay "cut by photo" and then try my key programmer. I flip E38s and the cut key by photo has worked really well for me so far.

Thanks for posting your step by step, if my process doesn't work, I'm going to check out that tool you used. There's always room for more tools haha

Old 08-24-2023, 12:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Following this as I am also looking at the launch diag tools as well

Old 08-24-2023, 04:45 PM
5th Gear

I can confirm in my case the keys I got and the Launch Elite scan tool for the Range Rover will program key fobs (plips). This is on my 2003 Discovery with some keys I got from Ebay. All good!

The process is a bit wonky as it shows it programmed but until you shut things down or exit the session the keys didn't work. Once I shut down, it was OK. I programmed 2 new keys and the existing key still worked. I added keys to the bottom of the list in the hopes that I would not overwrite the one existing key.

So for about 150 bucks I programmed the keys, and got a scan tool that seems to work. Once thing I didn't expect is that the scan tool DID read the VIN code correctly so I didn't even have to enter that.

Just as a side note the locksmith that cut the spare keys was going to charge 90 to do both keys if it worked, I think it was better that it didn't as I have a scan tool specific for the LR for a bit more than what the key programming was going to cost.

Sandy

Old 08-26-2023, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok so thanks to @Seattled2 I picked up this unit
Amazon Amazon

it arrived today in the mail. I have been able to program one keyfob so far. Going to do a few more here soon. Same procedure as the x431 as it looks like the same software.
I picked mine up from Temu with a coupon. I know took a chance but so far so good. Oh and paid $65 for it delivered.
one thing I like about it is I can also do other cars also.

The following users liked this post:
Sandyg (08-29-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 03:30 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V50-M66
If you still have the factory key with working buttons but the fob is all chewed up, there are cheapo cases on eBay for like $5, and you just transfer the internals and Ace Hardware will cut it to match your factory key for free. This is what I did, and it works great. Fantastic use of $5 to get a nice new key that didn't have the shell coming apart.
UPDATE: I went this weekend to our local Ace Hardware and they were able to copy my existing key into 2 blanks I provided.

Great tip on Ace Hardware! will drop by our local store and hopefully this one can cut it!

Thank you so much for the OP of this, this should be made a sticky

Last edited by macutan; 10-10-2023 at 07:50 AM. Reason: update provided

Quick Reply: I made new keys