Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I made new keys

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 09:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default I made new keys

I just bought a Disco 2. It has a lot of issues. But I did manage to fix one. The only key it came with had a missing Lock button. Looking around it seems that the nanocom evolution was a good fit, but for 500ish bucks, that did not quite fit my budget. I was looking at alternatives and I found this Launch tool(2023 Elite Launch Tool). It does a lot of other stuff too. I decided to take a chance and bought some keys and the tool. When I bought it there was a 60$ coupon.

I was eventually able to get it to work. I made some videos to post if anyone wants them, because there are no instructions. Or none that I found.

now that I know how to do it I could do it in 5 minutes. Quick Start from memory:
  1. Power the unit near a Wi-Fi . I had Wi-Fi next to my car. It came with a USB charger. I did not see the port, but I didn’t look for it either. I used the ODB2 to power
  2. there’s some updates and downloads. Specifically it prompted to update an app for Land Rover and Jaguar.
  3. once that was done go to diagnose.
  4. there is an Auto detect, and a manual detect
  5. manual detect is faster and I found I still had to make choices.
  6. Discovery -> Series 2 -> Body Control - > Security -> Vehicle Maintenance -> Plip programming
  7. follow steps as directed.
  8. when it asks about 18 digit barcode say No to get the 6 digit barcode.
  9. The steps are Test Program and Test then synchronize

Some notes:
  • could possibly mess something up. I had 5 plip codes stored at first, but by the end I only had 4. I think because I did not follow the prompts exactly. But the 3 I was programming were there.
  • I still don’t know what a SLABs plip is. It asked if I was programming one. I said no. Any help here from the community?
  • I did not know that plip = key fob until this process.
  • the keys sent from Amazon had 2 barcodes on it. The top barcode / string had the 6 character code in it. The 6 character code starts after the N. The number repeats except is reduced by one. The number is also hexadecimal
    • ex: N123456123455FF the 6 character code would be 123456
    • ex: N12345012344FFF the 6 character code would be 123450
  • To get it to synchronize you do the test and say No when you asked it to work. Otherwise it would be programmed but not synchronized and the key wouldn’t work.
  • if you mess up you can start over.

The following 4 users liked this post by nineyards:
Droog (08-26-2023), Flamgat (10-16-2023), hasullivan (08-01-2023), Roont (08-22-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 07:22 AM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

I need new key fobs as well since the disco I just bought had its fob chewed up by a dog.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Wow that's great, so far the community has had a hard time getting new fobs that work. BTw, the SLABS plip was a special fob that raised and lowered the back of the truck if you had air suspension, ostensibly for loading as you were walking up to the truck.

The following 2 users liked this post by Extinct:
Flamgat (10-16-2023), nineyards (08-04-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 06:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 827 Likes on 601 Posts

Good job! This seems like a good find, and although I won't be ordering one (I already have a Hawkeye, and a friend here with a Nanocom), I did locate it on Amazon and saw that the $50 "coupon" is still available.

Here's the Amazon link.

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Flamgat (10-16-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 09:15 PM
Mudding

The keys that I got from eBay that are very similar to these did not work. When asked to press a button on the fob when prompted nothing would happen. The code also has letters in it, not all consecutive numbers like yours.

I just ordered the same fobs from amazon. Hopefully better luck when they come.

Can you upload your videos to YouTube that you have? Thanks.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:49 PM
Mudding

Got the ones from Amazon in the mail today.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but when it prompts to press a button the the plip and press ok nothing happens.

It is not recognized.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:02 AM
4wd Low

Hi.

I uploaded 2 videos. One for programming and one for synchronizing. I hope it helps. Did you program the 6 characters?

Part 1

Part 2

If it’s not recognizing it could be that it is not synchronized yet. Or that the wrong 6 characters were programmed.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:09 AM
4wd Low

The 6 characters in my post were an example. The important part is the 6 characters should repeat. Except the last digit is decreased. Do you get to the step where you program the 6 characters? Did you get to the part where it asks you to replace one of the 5 slots?

Old 08-06-2023, 06:45 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nineyards
The 6 characters in my post were an example. The important part is the 6 characters should repeat. Except the last digit is decreased. Do you get to the step where you program the 6 characters? Did you get to the part where it asks you to replace one of the 5 slots?

I just retried it again following your second video and it worked thank you so much.

I also want to add that I think the letters are case sensitive when you're entering the six digit code

The following users liked this post:
nineyards (08-06-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 11:00 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just started working on a 2003 D2 and only had one key. Got some key fobs from ebay and took to a locksmith. He tried but no go. About to pull the trigger on a Nanocom but saw this just in time.

Just ordered the X431 from Amazon, it's price went up to 199, but discount went to 70.

Going to give it a go, thank you!

Step one of many!

Sandy

Quick Reply: I made new keys