Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think this could be bad...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009 | 08:20 AM
|
Rock Crawling

thanks, but will this cause the metal in the pan?

Old 05-19-2009 | 09:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by oljohnboy
I feel also that the atf flush caused my issues. I had a pretty tight engine, no noises, except lifters at startup. It hasnt even been 500 miles. I can tell you this, the inside of that engine is CLEAN. Now its just broke! Well hopefully the bearings are soft enough not to have damaged the crank.
Yes, I would say that you have your smoking gun if it proves to be a main/rod bearing.

Folks, please do not "flush" your engines with anything. If you've been maintaining them right, they won't need it and if you haven't, you're basically hitting a hornet's nest with a baseball bat...or playing Russian roulette...your choice.

Dave

Old 05-19-2009 | 11:06 AM
Camel Trophy

The above is the whole reason I install a new quality filter before doing any kind of flush. The flush was also after running synthetic for 6 months, which will break down sludge as well, only slower.

I agree with Dave on the flushing. It is risky, and sometimes it uncovers problems. Just switching to synthetic IMHO is the best route.... unless you know how to work on an engine.

John, you never answered my tap or knock sound descrition...

Old 05-19-2009 | 11:36 AM
|
Rock Crawling

I did use a brand new k&n oil filter for the flush. idle for 20 minutes. the sound is still more of a tapping then knocking, but i have listened to all the lifters with a steth., the exhaust, each exhaust bolt, the intake, and the noise is not present except the block between the starter and the block.

Old 05-19-2009 | 11:41 AM
Camel Trophy

which is right by your cam, which the lifters ride on. A tiny piece of junk can get into the lifter and cause it to leak and collapse. I think your tick is a lifter and you just happened onto the main bearing.

Old 05-19-2009 | 11:59 AM
|
Rock Crawling

maybe, i can see if the metal is ferrous. if it isnt then that would pretty much tell me it is a bearing wouldn't it? it seems to me that if a lifter is tapping, i would hear it clearly at the top of the engine. i can hear every lifter well, some are noisier than others, but none are making that noise imo. but we will see! i plan to take pics

Last edited by oljohnboy; 05-19-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2009 | 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by oljohnboy
maybe, i can see if the metal is ferrous. if it isnt then that would pretty much tell me it is a bearing wouldn't it? it seems to me that if a lifter is tapping, i would hear it clearly at the top of the engine. i can hear every lifter well, some are noisier than others, but none are making that noise imo. but we will see! i plan to take pics
A lifter knock will have a frequency that is half crankshaft rotation speed. A rod or main bearing knock will have a frequency that is the same as the crankshaft rotation speed. The difference is usually pretty easy to discern given this distinction, especially at idle. In other words, a rod or bearing knock will happen twice as often as a lifter tap. With this info and the magnet observations, let us know what you find.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-19-2009 | 03:05 PM
Mudding

How bad is it to drive with lifter tap?

Old 05-19-2009 | 03:21 PM
Team Owner

This is also why i do not recommend a ATF engine flush, if it aint broke dont fix it.
Full synthetic motor oil has at least twice the detergants as conventinal motor oil and will slowly and safely clean your engine while you drive as long as you dont go 15,000 miles between oil changes.

If you do not know how well your truck was maintained then dont worry about it and just start from scratch like nothing has ever been done to it.
Full synthetic motor oil at 3,000 mile oil change intervals for the first 2-3 oil changes will do wonders.
Then you can go to every 5,000 miles with full syn.

Old 05-19-2009 | 03:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Disco C
How bad is it to drive with lifter tap?
You can drive forever with lifter noise.

Quick Reply: I think this could be bad...