Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Thought My Disco Engine was Miraculously Healed - Wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan H
Spike, have you ever heard of a lifter with problems that worked ok for a while after an extended period of driving and then goes back to making noise a few weeks later?
No I have not heard of that happening but anything is possible.
I would say that the lifter is weak and after a long drive it gets primed, then loses its prime after several short trips.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Bryan,
Are you planning on tearing down the engine?? If not, you can spend days listening to all the different ideas, or get it into a shop and find out what the actual problem is.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by khuds308
cam shaft isn't that important is it? =)

lmfao!!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Bryan,
Are you planning on tearing down the engine?? If not, you can spend days listening to all the different ideas, or get it into a shop and find out what the actual problem is.
Mike, yes I'm planning to tear down the engine (at least to the point of replacing lifters). That's why I'm asking questions. I seem to have a fairly unique problem and I'm trying to research it to the extent possible before digging into the engine.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Normally a lifter does not make a knocking sound, if were lifter related, I would be concerned about the condition of that cam lobe and the possible need to also replace the cam with the new lifters.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you post a video of your noise on YouTube? That way we can determine if it is a tick or knock.

The only knock that would come from the top end is a stuck exhaust valve that is being hit by the top of the piston or a camshaft with serious play.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Rock Crawling

That's a good idea. I took a few seconds of video with my old phone that I no longer use. It's .mp4 format. Can anyone of you guys view that type of video?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Rock Crawling

hey i just wanted to jump in here. Disco Mike would be correct (again...). if you are going to do the lifters then you should replace the cam shaft as well. take a look at the info on this site. http://www.v8engines.com/engine-4.htm

Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

This might be a stupid suggestion, but have you checked the exhaust? Is your pipe hitting the frame somewhere and causing the knock? I only say this because at idle and a little above, my exhaust hits the frame and knocks. Goes away when I get above idle. Had to get the old coat hanger out.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Three Wheeling

I found this doing a search ... my engine is making what sounds like the exact same noise. As Bryan described, this noise is coming from the top driver's side of the engine and starts when the engine is warm and is present when the engine is idling or just above idle. I would also add that it is too regular to be anything other than something inside the engine (ie it's not the tailpipe hitting the frame).

Also, I timed it and it seems to be happening at about 1/2 of engine RPM. For example at 800 rpm this tick - or knock or whatever it is - is happening at 400 times per minute. I don't know if this frequency helps narrow it down or not. If it were one single lifter I think it would happen at 1/4 of engine speed (I think) ... ??

Another thing to note is that this noise has been going on for over 1 year / 6k miles and has not changed in character. The truck runs just fine had has no loss of power. I have had two different independent mechanics look at it and both think it is a lifter, and not something to tear into the engine to fix if that's all you're going in there for. I am still cautious, though, and am going to another mechanic next week - this one and the last one are very knowledgable LR guys - and will see what he says.

This is just FYI unless someone has additional thoughts. Will let y'all know if I find anything else.

Quick Reply: I Thought My Disco Engine was Miraculously Healed - Wrong!