Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas on how to Reinforce TD5

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 04:28 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideas on how to Reinforce TD5

Good day everyone!
So I am waiting on the delivery of my BRAND NEW 300 000 Km LR Disco 2 with a 2.5 TD5 diesel engine ( year 2000 ). Which is in fair good share as I see.
This is my second car, which is more of a hobby and I have certain far trips planned with it ( After its prepared).
But some issues are to me a bit of a concern. Sorry if this topic has been risen before, I unfortunately did not find the thread.

So the TD 5 has a very common issue at a certain point of life, the cracked head and injectors pouring diesel into oil. The question is simple, is there any good way how to reinforce this part and make it run for a very long time without any concern BEFORE it has happened?
Maybe there is a reinforcement kit for sale which someone used. Or some smart way how to prevent this.

Im quite confident that in 25 years of Disco 2. People founds a way how to make this issue a thing of the past.

Really excited to become a part of the community. )

Old 09-09-2023, 09:36 AM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Buy a new head, thats what You can do in advance.
New heads have the injector socket walls a lot thicker.

My 2003 TD5 cracked the head on the injector one socket some montths ago, and I got it welded up and have now driven ~150km on it an no issues yet.
Just have had it driving for less than 2 weeks now.

Ì drained the oil before taking the head off, and there was ~12 liters of oil+diesel in there.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:40 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply!
How did you find out it cracked by the way? What was the main indicator of it happening?

There are no aftermarket heads for the TD5 which are reinforced from this issue I presume? Just have to deal with a fact that its gonna happen at one splendid point of time.

I see one for ~420 EUR on a used car parts website. Maybe ill be on a look out to just buy a spare in this case for when the time comes, as I understand its just a question of time, and not luck.

By the way, I heard that on the first 2 year models Disco 2 the Oil pump gear fastener is not put on any locktight, and managed to unscrew at some point and let all hell break loose. After 2 years they admitted they should have put it on locktight and started doing it after recalls.
That's a typical issue for 1998 and 1999 models? Or the 2000 year model is also at risk? I would as well do preventive action since I'm going to strip the engine out and refurbish everything possible for it to run without worry.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2023, 09:38 AM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Atleast the AMC heads are "reinforced", like I said, the injector socket walls are thicker than stock.
The price for on goes from some 1600 euros and up depenhing on how much of the parts You want to include in it, meaning valves etc etc.

https://www.amc.es/en/aftermarket/

I wouldn't go for a used/refurbished head unless I can be 200% sure it will not cause any issues in future.
You could risk it, buy a used head, have it thoroughly checked by professionals for levels and cracks etc. But, it just might not show yet.

I had issues with coolant disappearing, coolant temp flew up, dropped down etc.
I started going thru the coolant issue with bleeding etc, and got tipped about an head issue.
I just had previously replaced the injector seals chasing some issues I can't recall right now.

I decided to check the oil, and that was the clear mark for a cracked head, as I really drained ~12 liters of fluids out, and it was oil and diesel.

Rocker cover off, injectors off etc and the crack was visible to the naked eye.
Marked with red arrows here, green arrows to show the crack isnät in the larger cavity where the diesel flows.

Oh yeah,. my coolant was clean, so no oil or diesel in the coolant.

I paid ~400 euros for a small shop for the welding of the head.
Plus new valve stem seals I bought for the shop.

I'll try and post more pics in my instagram accounts, I have a lot of stuff to post but have not got it done, been lazy.

Old 09-11-2023, 01:15 AM
7th Gear
Thanks!
Now that's a lot of good information.
Didn't expect welding would be a good option, I would actually most likely go for that option since I know some good welders around my area.

I will keep an eye on the coolant.

Thanks for all of the help.
The reinforced head from AMC I think will be my NY wish from Santa

If there are any suggestions and ideas I should keep an eye out, I am all ears. Will post a pic my new green baby when I get it into my hands.