Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idiots guide to Discos

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009 | 10:43 AM
|
Mudding
Default Idiots guide to Discos

I had to admit that I am mechanically challenged.
Try as I may to understand the step by step procedures on how to fix or maintain our beloved Rover, there are some things that I cannot
comprehend without visuals, illustrations, images etc. The Rave CD and Haynes manual helps but too complicated to some degree.
I call on some good, mechanically-gifted Samaritan to make an illustrated (pictures) step-by-step guide on how to maintain our dear trucks.
Can we start on Mike's 60K list? starting on how to change the engine oil, then bleed the brakes, renew the fuel filter etc.
Truly any information as such will be greatly appreciated by newbies and idiots like me.
And it will be the reference information of queries of future Rover owners.
Opinions, suggestions and owner preference can be shared and discussed. Its up to the reader which one to follow.
Without a doubt, it will be a very useful resource link for other enthusiast forums.
Cheers.

Old 02-01-2009 | 11:00 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Idiots guide to Discos

PM me your tele number, if you are in calling distance, and I'll call you.

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:08 PM
Team Owner

Whos your long distance carrier Mike? He's in the Phillipeans.(ok, I know I spelled it wrong)

www.discovery2.co.uk
Here is what you are looking for, this is Urban Panzers web page. He is a BIG do it your selfer and he also has a diesel, his is the TD5 while you have the 300TDI, but most things will be the same or very similar.
Book mark his page, if you have any questions Nick is a great guy and is willing to help where he can.

Old 02-01-2009 | 02:48 PM
Administrator

Comcast, they go to the craziest places. Could always try Skype.

Old 02-01-2009 | 04:03 PM
Baja

I call on some good, mechanically-gifted Samaritan to make an illustrated (pictures) step-by-step guide on how to maintain our dear trucks.
That's sorta funny. I had a good friend, also a Land Rover nut, when I lived in Vermont in the 80's who was a writer. He wanted us to team up and do a book along the lines of "How to Keep Your Land Rover Alive". Sadly, he died of cancer before we could make it a reality.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Spike: I would love to find something like the link you posted but for a Disco I. Thanks in advance if you are able to provide anything.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:49 AM
Winching

I can do it. I would simply need some place to host it on the web.

Old 02-02-2009 | 11:35 AM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: targotsi

Spike: I would love to find something like the link you posted but for a Disco I. Thanks in advance if you are able to provide anything.
Well with all things being equal the maintence on a DI is the same as a DII.
Changine the diff fluid is exatly the same for example. Same fluid, same diffs, same same.
Transfer case, same thing.
With you having a 300TDI and he a TD5 the oil change will be the same but with a different filter number and different filter location, but a oil change is a oil change.
Read through Panzers site and then go compare your DI to his DII and you will find that the under carriage is about the same.

Jull-does your IP offer free web space?

Old 02-03-2009 | 10:24 AM
Winching

don't think so....

Old 02-07-2009 | 08:57 PM
|
Mudding

Sorry for very late reply. Out on vacation :-).

Thanks Spike for Urban Panzers link. Bookmarked it already. Lucky D2 owners
Even though D2 and D1 are basically the same truck but with so many D1's out there, wouldn't it be great to have a site like Urban Panzers to cater specifically D1's?
For mechanically-inclined individuals, an engine is an engine but for people like me and probably thousands more, newbies and mechanically-challenged alike have a hard time
"getting-it" unless the the instructions are specific even better with pictures. An old adage says "a picture is worth a thousand words" I've seen you post instructions with images and it works!
A step-by-step maintenance guide for D1 with pictures will be a great tool as long as there are D1 owners.
Maintenance is basic and fundamental and is asked over and over again and a guide would definitely be a good legacy for all D1 enthusiasts out there.
Like Urban Panzers site, it will always be a source of reference for years to come. He may not know it but he has helped a lot of D2 owners for sure.
We know we have a good Samaritan for D2 where is he or she for the D1?
Cheers,

P.S.

Thanks DiscoMike for the offer. I will PM you if my local independent rover mechanic is doing something questionable.
Yes Spike, the correct spelling is Philippines.

Quick Reply: Idiots guide to Discos