Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Air Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Air Control Valve

Hi, Everyone. Just recently I got an check engine code for the idle air control valve. Can anyone give me steps on how to clean the idle air control valve and possible a picture to where it is located. I would like steps I need to take in removing it and cleaning it. Thank you,

Plus its a 2002 Discovery SE

Old 07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Rock Crawling

You'll need to download the RAVE manual for detailed removal/installation steps. As for cleaning, I've never done it so I'm no help there. The IAC valve is the silver cylindrical thingy on the back of the upper intake manifold. There are a couple air tubes and an electrical connector.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unbolt it, and unhook it from the wiring harness, spray the hell out of it with throttle body cleaner (until the gunk stops coming out) and reinstall.

Pretty simple.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have not heard much about cleaning it, it looks like other people have.
Here is a picture of it

03 04 Land Rover Discovery II IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE

Old 07-27-2010, 01:27 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshogt
I have not heard much about cleaning it]
That's what I was wondering? Would this be a part of "routine" maintenance? Hmmmm......

Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would PM Disco Mike or Spike555 and ask about it. As it seems to be a valve controlled by a electric solenoid switch. It probably does suck some carbon into it from the upper plenum. Or wait till tonight. Spike will probably reply

I tore apart a 2004 Discovery with only 37,000 miles on it and I could not believe how much residue and gunk was in the upper/lower plenum. Seemed like you could have SeaFoamed it 5 times a and still not gotten all that to wash down into the piston chambers to be burned out. I guess you never know if the previous owners used 87 regular cheap gas! I cant believe these engines run as well as they do being so gunky.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:28 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Squirt some throttle body cleaner up in it is about all you can do. Removing it is as easy as removing a couple clamps and unplugging a electrical connector.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Drifting

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I was pretty sure it was sort of the same as removing the Mass Air Flow and spraying it. Just wondering, I dont want to break anything. lol. I tried to PM DiscoMike but it gave me an error message saying I did not have rights too. I just joined last night, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Will cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve help with rough idle?

Reason I'm checking is because on first start up, my engine stalls at the first red light leaving my house almost every morning but otherwise drives good. The idle has always sounded a little off by the way.

I also have a coolant leak but I cannot seem to find the leak. About every couple months or three months I may have to top it off. Sometimes you can smell the coolant but other times you cant. Its never overheated or anything at all. I always check or watch the temp gauge to make sure. Does anyone know how I can find the leak or what the issue maybe? Plus I checked my oil, oil cap and dipstick and no white residue. Which is good. Any other ideas? Any test for leaks? or Ideas?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check all over the engine for the coolant residue. Check your throttle body heater, these are known to leak.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Drifting

Sorry but I am just starting to learn alot about my Rover under the hood. What exactly or where is the throttle body heater? Any pics, I'm sorry but I am trying to learn here.

Quick Reply: Idle Air Control Valve