Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
Adjusting the base idle is not a DIY job, set it to high and you will mess up your MPG and it will be hard on your driveline when you put it in gear.
Set it to low and the truck will stall under load.
The tach is not accurate enough to adjust it yourself.
so what tools will a garage need to do this?

If I bring it to a garage I want to be sure they do it properly and don't do just what I am doing

Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They will need to plug into the OBD port and read real time info from the ECU, then they will need to adjust the idle speed.
Exactly how they set it I am not sure, they may need to adjust the TPS and then fine tune the idle speed through the ECU.
I am not 100% sure what equip will be needed, but the dealer will have TestBook which is the Rover PC program to do every thing and anything to our trucks.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
They will need to plug into the OBD port and read real time info from the ECU, then they will need to adjust the idle speed.
Exactly how they set it I am not sure, they may need to adjust the TPS and then fine tune the idle speed through the ECU.
I am not 100% sure what equip will be needed, but the dealer will have TestBook which is the Rover PC program to do every thing and anything to our trucks.
so I should only trust the dealer? I'm just worried about cost

Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

dealer should only cost 1 hr labor, between 105 and 120 depending where you are... that is also if you just want them to set it and not diagnose the problem, you pay more for the daig, but itll be correct, where as we're pretty much taking a guess here without seeing the car, and setting base idle might not be the right fix. if you take it in, have them reset base idle and also set your iacv count

Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Base idle

Hi okdiscoguy

I Have remove the air bypass hose when I do that the engine is surging idle goes up and down and then eventually die out what can be the problem thx

Originally Posted by tomfraser
maybe try this first?:

First remove and clean the idle motor and the port it screws into. Clean the throttle body as well.

On the top of the throttle body you will see a hole (possibly covered by an anti tamper plug) for the base idle adjuster.

Remove the air bypass hose from the throttle body, which will cause the engine to speed up to 2500rpm or so. Unplug the connector to the idle motor after 5 seconds then reconnect the hose.

Squeeze the hose shut with needle nose vise grips and adjust the base idle using an allen wrench to give an idle speed of 6-700rpm. Get the lowest speed you can that gives smooth running and does not stall when blipping the throttle. Screw in for slower idle, out for faster idle.

Reconnect the idle stepper and remove the vise grip and you should be done.

I set my base idle to 1100 to keep it from stalling out when stopped at red lights, but it idles smoothly, and will not stall now. I have a 1995, and i'm not sure if this works on 4.0 engines