Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had $800 to spend, how would you spend it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015 | 11:03 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default If you had $800 to spend, how would you spend it?

Between a union negotiated raise and some recent overtime, I will be looking at something like $800 to $1000 exra income in the month of November... here's some info on my vehicle:
2000 Disco 2, with about 150k miles. Possibly still on the original head gasket. I have an oil leak somewhere, and I'm slowly losing coolant. Not throwing any codes. My blower motor is non op, and it's gonna get cold soon. Pretty sure my shocks are about done. I plan on doing a lift, so I don't want to spend money on shocks that I will end up replacing.

This is my daily driver, as well as my weekend wheeler, and I'm running trails with Jeeps with 6 or more inches of lift on 35s or bigger....

Help me get the most bang for my buck, and keep my Rover on the road and on the trail... what would you buy?

Old 10-20-2015 | 12:01 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Clockwork John
Between a union negotiated raise and some recent overtime, I will be looking at something like $800 to $1000 exra income in the month of November... here's some info on my vehicle:
2000 Disco 2, with about 150k miles. Possibly still on the original head gasket. I have an oil leak somewhere, and I'm slowly losing coolant. Not throwing any codes. My blower motor is non op, and it's gonna get cold soon. Pretty sure my shocks are about done. I plan on doing a lift, so I don't want to spend money on shocks that I will end up replacing.

This is my daily driver, as well as my weekend wheeler, and I'm running trails with Jeeps with 6 or more inches of lift on 35s or bigger....

Help me get the most bang for my buck, and keep my Rover on the road and on the trail... what would you buy?
Have you rebuilt your front driveshaft? Find your oil leak... Are you leaking coolant (it's wet somewhere) or are you burning it (head gaskets, internal leak)?

Old 10-20-2015 | 12:35 AM
Baja

03/04 parts car with failing motor and good HVAC system for $500-$800.

Gradually work on rebuilding the motor and start swapping/upgrading parts from the newer disco.

Then sell some of the spares to fund future needs/upgrades.

Old 10-20-2015 | 04:28 AM
Baja

clean your engine and find your leaks, your cooling leak could be a $3 clamp or $800 head gaskets.
The same with the oil leak could be something that can be tighten like valve covers, sender or as large as main seals or crucifix seals .

the blower is the easiest Drillbit sell the whole blower section for $60 on ebay,
remove the three screw from the blower motor, swap them and save the rest for a later date.

Save the other 850- $950 for when you need it, if your HG haven't been done, you will need it eventually.

Last edited by drowssap; 10-20-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2015 | 09:45 AM
Rock Crawling

Definitely fix the coolant leak first!
Start another thread to answer this question: Please tell me more about your mad driving skills that allow you to run with 35" + tire Jeeps , are they mall crawlers or rock crushers?
I need to know.

Old 10-20-2015 | 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Include the inline thermostat mod for sure.

Old 10-20-2015 | 08:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

" If you had $800 to spend, how would you spend it?"

Cocaine and hookers. Both more reliable than any Land Rover.

Old 10-20-2015 | 10:22 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Shade Tree
Definitely fix the coolant leak first!
Start another thread to answer this question: Please tell me more about your mad driving skills that allow you to run with 35" + tire Jeeps , are they mall crawlers or rock crushers?
I need to know.
These guys I run with are hardcore four wheeling enthusiasts. Rocks, dirt, broken trail, overland travel... they love it all. The president of the local club has planned his route to work so that he can run a double black diamond trail and a red diamond trail on his way home from work... in his Ford Ranger. Granted, I can't go all of the places their rigs will take them(a 3500 lb Jeep on 35s with front and rear lockers will go places that a 5000 lb Discovery with open diffs can only dream of, or maybe have nightmares about), but when I go out with these guys, we push our rigs hard. I don't want to push my rig too hard trying to keep up with the club.

Old 10-20-2015 | 10:25 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Frank4
" If you had $800 to spend, how would you spend it?"

Cocaine and hookers. Both more reliable than any Land Rover.
Very true. And much like owning a Land Rover, they will leave you lying awake and alone at night, wondering what the hell you were thinking...

Old 10-21-2015 | 07:19 AM
Pro Wrench

Very true. And much like owning a Land Rover, they will leave you lying awake and alone at night, wondering what the hell you were thinking...
...Ahh, the good Ole Days

Quick Reply: If you had $800 to spend, how would you spend it?