Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition, 2 keys, driver door handle... And?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ignition, 2 keys, driver door handle... And?

Besides the ignition cylinder, driver's door handle w/ lock and 2 original keys that have good batteries and work- what else is required to make the setup transfer into another truck & work as it should? BCU?

Old 11-01-2013, 05:25 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

If you take the BCU it won't work with your EFI ECU. You'll need to sync them with testbook or similar. Anyway you look at it you're in for a trip to the dealer or a shop with the capability to sync either the remotes to the BCU or the BCU to the EFI ECU. It's more a matter of how much more complicated you want to make it.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Winching

So, BCU, EFI ECU??? May as well include the gauge cluster too... Then everything ought to work?

Of course, now things are starting to get expensive... LOL

Old 11-01-2013, 05:32 PM
TReK

BTW, if you ascribe to the KISS principle you can just install the new ignition assembly and door handle (or cylinder) and away you go. You just lose the remote capability. Everything else works.

I bought a nice DII just a few weeks ago from a guy for a few hundred bucks. The dealer wanted a fortune to install a new ignition switch and lock cylinder. They gave the guy a story about how he wouldn't be able to drive the truck unless he got the switch and cylinder synced to the BCU. He didn't even have a remote!

I offered him a lock set. He offered me the truck. I drove to his place of business, paid him, got the title and less than 10 minutes latter was driving the truck onto a flatbed. He was beside himself but didn't want to believe what I had been telling him all along. The dealer told him what I just did was impossible. Live and learn.

BTW $300 is pretty steep for a lock set.
Cheers,
Paul Grant
Classic Rovers

Old 11-01-2013, 05:34 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
So, BCU, EFI ECU??? May as well include the gauge cluster too... Then everything ought to work?

Of course, now things are starting to get expensive... LOL
I have several clusters, EFI ECU's and BCU's listed on eBay for under $100. Prices aren't what they were a year or two ago. Everybody's a parts reseller these days and prices have dropped accordingly.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Winching

Yeah, I figured with both keys and such it might be worth a little more... I've seen some bring stupid money on eBay recently. BUT, I don't want to sell it to someone under the premise that it's plug & play and then have them upset that the remotes won't work and the dealer is refusing to help. Therein lies the conundrum!

Old 11-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Winching

And I'm not really a parts reseller, just an enthusiast with a personal truck, one I'm trying to flip, and a parts truck... LOL

I've bought parts from you in the past, we've had some great conversations!

Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 PM
TReK

I didn't mean to infer you were a reseller. I just know that I've seen prices on parts for DII's plummet over the last year. It happened to DI parts a number of years ago but not to the same extent. These days, with the economy as tight as it is, I see people trying to make some spare cash wherever they can. Plus, I see a number of guys thinking it's easy to make a living selling parts. They think that by simply undercutting everyone on eBay they'll become the next king of the hill. Then they find out they don't have enough money to buy their next parts truck.

I give away parts on eBay that sold for good money only a year ago and it sucks. I have to when there's a guy, a regular on dWeb who can't be making more than a dollar or two on the hundreds of items he sells after factoring in shipping, eBay fees, PayPal fees, packing material, ect undercutting everyone. Why bother? It's great for the customer but it winds up killing sellers who actually have an idea about how these vehicles work. It's all part of the race to the bottom or the "Walmartization" of everything. Watch the movie "Idiocracy" and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Winching

I know Idiocracy well. I use Gatorade for everything- dogs, cats, geckos, my garden, in the pool... LOL

Old 11-01-2013, 06:06 PM
TReK

I really like Luke Wilson and I like to think that he did that movie more to make a statement than anything else.

Quick Reply: Ignition, 2 keys, driver door handle... And?