Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition cylinder wiring or replacement help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition cylinder wiring or replacement help.

Ok, so my disco (2002) thinks that the key is in the ignition even though it is not. I've seen other people post about this, but not much info about a workaround. I think it would be really easy just to bypass the circuit, but I don't know which wires are for the "key in ignition" switch. This would be my ideal fix. I'd appreciate if anyone could point me towards a ignition cylinder wiring pinout.

The other question I have is that if I go ahead and replace the ignition cylinder, I assume I need a new key for it, and that I will probably either have to replace all the door locks, have 2 sets of keys or is the cylinder itself adjustable?

And finally, how the hell do I remove the cylinder. The bolts that attach it have no head. They look like rivets. Do I have the pull the column and grind them out? see below.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind. Found the switch, was just a little sticky. I'm going to spray it down with some graphite and see if that makes it move freely. If not I'll be removing it.

Thanks anyways.

For future reference, the key in ignition switch is right below where the key enters the ignition switch. Its black and has a little plunger switch. Theres a lever that goes up into the lock mechanism. In my case the lever was just stuck closed and was easily freed up by just wiggling it around.