Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm going on almost a year and a half with these friggin codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going on almost a year and a half with these friggin codes

Hi guys,

I've posted a couple times to attempt to fix my SES light and the now four amigos. I took it to a "respectable" indie shop and had them read the codes. He took a quick look and said I need a new MAF. He found the part and I went and picked it up, replaced that and the air filter then as he recommended I pulled the battery terminal off to reset. Start driving and the next day everything lights back up.

Codes are as follows:

P1171

Truck runs good but a little rough idling. New oil, plugs, wires,

Thoughts? I'm at my wits ends and after paying to have the codes read with zero success I'm getting frazzled.

Mike

Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Three Wheeling

Vacuum leak.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you can go to Auto zone to have your codes read for free. Also I have never heard of disconnecting your battery to reset codes. I may be wrong. But they need to be reset via the code reader. Your o2 upstream sensors need to be replaced. that will help out with the 0171,0174 codes. you did the MAF so that cancels the 102. I have nothing on the 1884 other than chaco your battery for low voltage or a bad ground wire. Yo can get the voltage checked at most auotzones for free as well. As for your indie shop, I might consider finding a new one if this is all he did to help you.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffh
you can go to Auto zone to have your codes read for free. Also I have never heard of disconnecting your battery to reset codes. I may be wrong. But they need to be reset via the code reader. Your o2 upstream sensors need to be replaced. that will help out with the 0171,0174 codes. you did the MAF so that cancels the 102. I have nothing on the 1884 other than chaco your battery for low voltage or a bad ground wire. Yo can get the voltage checked at most auotzones for free as well. As for your indie shop, I might consider finding a new one if this is all he did to help you.
X2. You need to reset the codes using a scanner. The ultra gauge is a wise investment as it reads/erases codes and gives you live readings of engine data. I also agree on the 02 sensors.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd recommend buying one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...bdii+bluetooth

Then downloading Torque for your smart phone. After you link the OBDII reader and your phone, Torque will do more than most scanners, and you can set up a virtual gauge cluster just like a ultragauge. It will allow you to pull and clear codes.

That said, the ultragauge is nice because it's dedicated to your truck and you aren't constantly messing with it when you get calls and texts.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm gonna order the O2 sensors Monday. Could those cause the rough idle? I've tried to check for vacuum leaks but I either have none or I wasn't doing it correctly. I went around with carb cleaner as suggested and sprayed with no change. Should I attempt that again with starting fluid?

As for that shop, absolute BS in my opinion. This truck sucks bad enough let alone having a bad shop throw bad advice at me.

Thanks guys!!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Most carb cleaner will act the same as starting fluid on a vacuum leak. Disconnecting the battery will clear most codes but not all of them. Some are kept in memory and if the problem is not resolved, even if they are cleared, they will show up again shortly

Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Drifting

What scan tool do you find works the best ?

Old 12-29-2013, 01:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Look up smoke test with a cigar, it will work better than the fluid.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been using the scanguageII for years. as have many of my friends around the country > I know that there are others with more bells and whistles but I do no tike bells and whistles. I like simple plain low key functionality. thats why I got a Rover.

Quick Reply: I'm going on almost a year and a half with these friggin codes