Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm going on almost a year and a half with these friggin codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just want to clarify before I start throwing parts at this.

1. Replace upstream O2 sensors.

2. Do smoke test to check for a vacuum leak.

3. Rejoice?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you forgot make sacrifice to rover gods and never ever again do you bad mouth the wonderful vehicles regardless of the torment that it may bestow upon thee. It is the lesser of men that drive other vehicles.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I just did a smoke test and had some interesting findings.

As I would blow into the tube it took a lot for the glove to even begin to inflate, then it would barely hold any air. I did notice I was getting a lot of smoke from around the front of the intake manifold. Does anyone have a diagram of that system? I'm looking through RAVE and can't really figure out what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts as to where the leak could be coming from?

Mike

Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can clear codes via disconnecting both battery terminals, taping the two wires together, and waiting about 30 minutes. It's a hard restart, I do it when I have an evap code, like a gas cap not tightened.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm about 3 minutes from four auto parts stores. I'm looking for a little assistance with this smoke leak than the debate on clearing codes. The amount of side comments on irrelevant info is not really helping.

Smoke is coming up from under neath the front end of the intake manifold. Are there any connections under neath there? I couldn't fine anything.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Went ahead and got a can of starting fluid and the straw for a direct spray to the injectors(Or I'm guessing so based off the area), underneath the intake manifold. If I spray directly the RPM's increase and even out.

I'm guessing a set of injector o-rings are in order? Anything else I should do since I'll be in there? Plugs and wires have all been replaced and upgraded so that's done. Should I replace the injectors since they'll be out?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

FWIW as a side comment, It is much easier and better for your adaptive settings to clear the codes with a code reader instead of the broad axe battery cable method.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Plenum Gasket, injector O-rings, and valve cover gaskets would be my choice for the 1171 and 1174 codes. That will pretty much cover the most common places for a vacuum leak in the area you describe. I had the same codes and after a cigar test it turned out to be a slightly warped intake tube that wouldn't seal all the way where it connects to the throttle body.

A picture of the area the smoke is coming from would help, but it sounds like its coming from behind the A/C and alternator under the upper intake. Is that correct? If so then you are more then likely right about it being a bad injector ring.

For a diagram of the upper intake go to page 437 of the RAVE.

Last edited by Jared9220; 01-07-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Right about here is where the smoke is coming from.

I'll look at getting the o-rings, and plenum. Should I do the valve covers as well? I have a leaky set now and it drives me nuts. Would I want to go ahead and do the heads if that's the case? I've been thinking about doing it lately as I have a rattling type noise coming from the engine somewhere. Plus I'm trying to get some good mileage out of this truck.

Mike

Edited for a link to the area of the smoke.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52015264@N02/11829772674/

Last edited by Club Cheetah; 01-07-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would do the valve cover gaskets if they are leaking. They are easy to get to if you are going to have the upper intake off to do the injector O-rings and plenum gasket anyway.
As for the head gaskets.... that is a whole new can of worms. If your head gaskets have never been changed they are a ticking time bomb. If you have the money, tools and the mechanical know how, then I would say go for it. Keep in mind that it is a big job and you will need to take the heads to a machine job to have the valve seals installed and the heads leveled.

FYI-If you decide to do the head gaskets, then the head gasket kit will come with the injector O-rings and plenum along with everything you need to re-seal your engine so don't order extra stuff.

Quick Reply: I'm going on almost a year and a half with these friggin codes