Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm loving the Rover already!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up I'm loving the Rover already!

It's been a few days and about 350 miles total and I am really loving it. A couple quick questions for those in-the-know.
  1. Any dependable and inexpensive place for used parts? The one I see for used parts that keeps coming up is Roverlandparts.com. I just need to know the quality of parts and if they are recommended. They have a fog light I need that is cracked, but it is $125. That doesn't sound terrible, but would love to know quality. I also need the a couple outside trim pieces, but do not see much on those period.
  2. What is the typical RPM the transmission shifts at during WOT in/out of sport? Even in sport, it seems to be shifting too early to me. I found redline info, but nothing really on shift points while searching
  3. Are the head units (mine is the HK + the 6-disc) east to swap out, and any issues with the wiring harnesses, etc? I need to at the least have MP3 available to listen to. Also, has anyone just used the connection for the CD for an Icelink or comparable iPod adapter? My previous Audi used the CD changer hookup when I added the adapter in, and that was great (had a cradle and charged it, but also was controlled through the stock head unit).
  4. If there are any local (NNJ / Tri-State) get together events (even just coffee or beer on a weeknight) please let me know. I'm very involved with other auto communities, and find this to be helpful to all involved!
By the way... had my 1st quick trip this afternoon for one of the main reasons I bought the Rover: Ski/board trips! My boy (6) thinks it is the perfect snowboarding truck too!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RoverLand sell salvaged parts, they are in good condition but you pay a premium. Check with Will Tillery willtillery@roverguy.com for used parts. Also watch craigslist and the classifieds on this forum.
One ipod option is here: http://home.valornet.com/splacket/roverville_US.htm. Another option is an ipod interface that plugs in the CD cable, but you loose the CD. And obviously you can swap out the head unit with after market units, there are millions to choose from.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why would you run the truck at wide open throttle?
These are not sports cars, if you want to go fast drive something else.
But then again it is your money.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
^^Agreed. With all of the "lack-of-oil supply" failures these trucks experience - you should drive it like an old lady, not like Vin Diesel in the fast and furious.

Gently MASSAGE the throttle!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
True indeed... I have my S4 when I want to drive fast, especially during track days. But, there are two times when WOT was 100% needed just in the last 2 days:
1. Merging onto Route 80 on an uphill climb around rush hour with rigs flying at 75 in the slow lane and no acceleration lane anymore due to snow.
2. Leaving a ski resort and climbing back up the mountain with a huge grade where flooring it after I had to stop barely got me to 40MPH by the top. FWIW, trucks are buses are not allowed on this road due to the grade.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...03.64,,0,14.24

Old 01-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by coors
^^Agreed. With all of the "lack-of-oil supply" failures these trucks experience - you should drive it like an old lady, not like Vin Diesel in the fast and furious.

Gently MASSAGE the throttle!
Ha! NOS just kicked in yo!!!
Yes, as posted in the last response I did not buy this to take to the track! To keep my MPG above 10, I am very gentle indeed. I'm sure others in the NYC metro area can agree though that this is not an option many times though!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Bundu
RoverLand sell salvaged parts, they are in good condition but you pay a premium. Check with Will Tillery willtillery@roverguy.com for used parts. Also watch craigslist and the classifieds on this forum.
One ipod option is here: http://home.valornet.com/splacket/roverville_US.htm. Another option is an ipod interface that plugs in the CD cable, but you loose the CD. And obviously you can swap out the head unit with after market units, there are millions to choose from.
Very cool and thanks for the info! If there are no real issues and the wiring harnesses are easy, I would just go aftermarket. I don't care if I lose the CD changer though, so have to look at that option.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No trucks allowed?
There is a tree trimming truck in the Google Map image. lol

Old 01-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
True indeed... I have my S4 when I want to drive fast, especially during track days. But, there are two times when WOT was 100% needed just in the last 2 days:
1. Merging onto Route 80 on an uphill climb around rush hour with rigs flying at 75 in the slow lane and no acceleration lane anymore due to snow.
2. Leaving a ski resort and climbing back up the mountain with a huge grade where flooring it after I had to stop barely got me to 40MPH by the top. FWIW, trucks are buses are not allowed on this road due to the grade.

1. Wait for a break in traffic; time your entrance onto the freeway. You are driving a heavy truck with less than 200 HP.

2. See the second sentence in number 1. Unless there is a police car, fire truck, or ambulance behind you, with no other way to go up the road, accelerate as your vehicle is able to easily.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jealous of your non-saggy headliner lol

Quick Reply: I'm loving the Rover already!