Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm new here, need some expertise!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new here, need some expertise!

So my 2000 Disco II is giving me some problems. My biggest concern is that when it's warming up in the morning, for about the first 4 or 5 mins, billowing white smoke comes out of the exhaust. From what I've been able to find via google, sounds like I may have a head gasket problem. Is there any way I can confirm this without paying a shop to check it out? The smoke is very thick and heavy until the car gets warm and them it seems to dissapate. Do I have a big problem on my hands? Help?!?!

Last edited by rovey2000; 03-11-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

pop the hood and look to see if your coolant resovoir is low. pull the dipstick to see if your oil looks like milkshake. what's the mileage on your truck?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
pop the hood and look to see if your coolant resovoir is low. pull the dipstick to see if your oil looks like milkshake. what's the mileage on your truck?
coolant resovoir seems a bit low, oil looks ok? 129,000 miles.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

how many miles were on it when you bought it? do you have the service history? is your CEL on? is your engine running rough?

you need to top off your coolant and bleed the system properly. look at the how to section.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your in good hands with Ed..on your way to solving this mistery.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Is it possible you are just seeing normal condensation from starting up on a cold morning? The muffler on these cars is pretty big and can hold quite a bit of moisture.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also that white smoke will have a sweet coolant smell if it is head gasket related. So sniff your pipe on a cold start.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to ask a stupid question...but might help. Are you sure it is *smoke* and not just normal exhaust? You will see the exhaust vapor more on some mornings depending on outside temps and conditions.
Like they said..check the oil and coolant. I just think if it was that bad during start up it would be bad during all operation (especially as the fluids heat up and get thinner). Until the engine is up to temp, you will see the exhaust more. As they mentioned though, check the fluids and smell the exhaust. You will be able to smell if it is sweet or if it is oil.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:23 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
how many miles were on it when you bought it? do you have the service history? is your CEL on? is your engine running rough?

you need to top off your coolant and bleed the system properly. look at the how to section.

I literally bought this vehicle a few weeks ago and the only lights that were on were the 3 amigos. After fueling up the SES light came on and has remained on. I know that is a common thing among Rovers for lots of different reasons. At first I thought it was just due to adjusting to the new gas. Now, I'm not so sure.

It's my first Rover and my first V8 so I'm not sure if the engine is running rough or not. It seems to idle fine at 750 but does seem to work hard in stop and go traffic in town. Meaning engine sounds a bit loud and sounds like it's always accelorating even at low speeds (30mph). The Rover shop didn't seem to think it ran abnormally on the INITIAL inspection. Here's the whole story (please read on for all details):

2000 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY II (129,000 miles)

So here's the long and short of what I'm concerned about -

When I start the truck up when the engine is cold, plumes of thick white exhaust come out of the exhaust pipe for a few minutes before clearing up. Typically, it clears up after the engine gets warm. At first I just thought it was condensation, but it seems to be getting worse. I did take the truck to Columbia Rovers a few weeks ago to get checked out (since I had just purchased the vehicle) and they said it looks like someone put on one of my head gaskets upside down. (?) They then went on to say that they are 75% sure that I need a new engine costing $4k.

-"It could just be the one head gasket, but we're pretty sure you need a new engine...".

Funny thing is, when I checked out the yelp reviews online of different Rover shops, the same thing happened to someone else. Columbia Rovers told them they needed a new enginge and suggested that they just sell the truck to them for the parts. I'm trying to get a 2nd opinion so I don't get screwed by expensive shops that just want to take advantage of people that don't know any better.

Now I'm very aware that thick white exhaust could be a symptom of several things but I'm not a mechanic and I have no way to know what the problem is. The temp guage did elevate a bit the other day so I added coolant. Hasn't elevated since. Idles at the appropriate levels (to the best of my knowledge) with the exception of it being a tiny bit high in the morning when the engine is cold.

Also, my ABS lights come on (ABS, Downhill Alert and Traction Control) everytime the computer in the truck does a scan (about twice a day). My Service Engine Soon light also came on the first time I put gas in it after I purchased it. I have no way of knowing if this is a symptom stemming from the truck adjusting to the new gas I just put in it (common among Rovers) or if it's do to the engine problem that I'm having. Or a combination of the two.

Now here's what the Columbia Rovers paper work said (keep in mind, the milage on the paper work was correct but the plate # and VIN was NOT MINE???):

CEL illuminated. Scan and advise.
P0300 random misfire, P0302 #2 misfire, P1300 random catalyst damaging misfire, P0440 evap control system fault. Vehicle had hard misfire for first minute upon starting, then cleared up. Monitored real-time data and found 19 misfires on cylinder 2 immidiately upon start up, then no more. Star-up only misfires my indicate coolant is entering the cylinder, especially when the engine is shut down, causing a misfire until the majority of the coolant has been expelled. Checked spark plugs on cylinder #2, good. Plug wires are very poorly routed and spark plugs are Champions, appear to be in acceptable condition (external visual inspection, did not remove plug). Performed block test, failed within 10 seconds, found cooling system to be highly overpressurized. Upon further inspection found bank A head gasket to be installed upside down, gasket was pried away from dipstick hole to allow dipstick to be fitted; if head gasket had been installed properly it would not have impeded dipstick fitment. Also noticed leaking throttle de-icer and hoses and expansion tank hoses. Recommend teardown to determine if engine will need to be replaced. Also checked ABS faults; shuttle valve switch electrical failure, ecu ground or reference fault, right rear corner valve duty cycle exceeded, plausibility fault raising right rear, compressor duty cycle exceeded. Shuttle valve faulty could not be cleared, shuttle valve will need to be replaced/upgraded, remaining faults did not immidiately return but indicate that the SLS system may need repair or conversion in the near future.

I have no clue how much of this is legit reason for immidiate concern and how much of it is BS...

Any wisdom on the subject is much appreciated, thanks for the support guys!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an ODBII scanner, they are about $40 at auto stores or get one at www.ultra-gauge.com. Read the codes and post them here. No sense in letting eveyone guess at what could be wrong.
Does that thick white smoke smell like coolant (sweet) or like something else, maybe like burnt oil or something?

Quick Reply: I'm new here, need some expertise!