Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Immobilizer help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 04:03 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobilizer help

Hello, I own an auto shop in Florida. we had a 2004 Discovery SE towed in crank no start, after some trial and "error" we determined that the immobilizer key was the issue. To confirm our diagnosis we had a local (very qualified) programmer come to the shop and he determined that his software couldn't help. So to the dealer it went. This was back in May, I just found out that the dealer quoted the customer 1600.00 to fix it. The customer is a young 18 year old that is stranded without the vehicle. My goal is to try and help him if at all possible. With all that said I would appreciate it if the members here could steer me to any and all options. If there is a reasonably priced tool to reprogram or a work around any option so I can help him.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Jay

Here are the specs on the vehicle Vehicle Base Configuration: VL17936 : Land Rover - Discovery (2004)Sub Model: SM49 : SERegion: RE1 : United StatesEngine Base: ENB81 : 4.6 Liter 8 Cylinder(s) 3.70" Bore 3.19" StrokeFuel Type:FLT5 : GAS
Body Number of Doors:BND5 : 4
Body Type:BDY11 : Sport Utility
Aspiration: ASP5 : Naturally Aspirated
Cylinder Head Type: CHT7 : OHV
Fuel Delivery Config: FDC7 : MPI Electronic FI MFI
Valves:VLV3 : 16
Engine Manufacturer: ENM40 : RoverPower Output Configuration: PWR220 : 217 HPEngine Version: ENV3 : N/RIgnition System Type: IST6 : DistributorlessEngine Designation: END1 : -Engine VIN: EVN38 : 9

Old 11-29-2021, 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Hi Jay. Welcome to the forum. it's very nice of you to track down this forum to try to help your customer.

Where in Florida are you (and your customer)? There may be a forum member nearby who can help.

The go-to DIYer diagnostic tool for the Discovery Series II is the Nanocom. It costs around $500 before shipping, direct from the manufacturer in Cyprus (depending on exchange rates). Nanocom is the only DIYer tool that can program keys without the barcode tag that comes with new keys. It can almost certainly address the problem with your customer's truck.
https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/shop/product/ncom04
They very rarely come up for sale used, and when they do they sell for close to the price of a new one. Given the price tag it's worth seeing if there's anyone here on the forum with one who is near you and your customer. Many members on this forum are very good about helping out other owners in person where practical.

If you're a pro you probably know about the Autocom, but it's way more expensive.

Old 11-29-2021, 05:04 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

Firstly thanks for going the extra mile to help your young client. It’s probably not a difficult fix, but you will likely need a Land Rover compatible scanner. Since you don’t work on many LR’s perhaps your client can buy one for himself. He should have one anyway if he plans to keep the vehicle. I have a Nanocom Evolution, which is really great, though it’s on the pricier end, I think around US$600 by the time you get it. There are cheaper ones and someone else may chime in with suggestions. You can then get a Fob from a wrecker, or someone who breaks Disco’s, like Roverguy.com. Inside the fob is a (4 digit IIRC) code which your scanner can program into the BCU. Hopefully this helps. And hopefully your client will be happy to do some of this leg work for you (eg buying a scanner and fob).

Old 11-29-2021, 06:16 PM
6th Gear
Default Nanocom

Originally Posted by mln01
Hi Jay. Welcome to the forum. it's very nice of you to track down this forum to try to help your customer.

Where in Florida are you (and your customer)? There may be a forum member nearby who can help.

The go-to DIYer diagnostic tool for the Discovery Series II is the Nanocom. It costs around $500 before shipping, direct from the manufacturer in Cyprus (depending on exchange rates). Nanocom is the only DIYer tool that can program keys without the barcode tag that comes with new keys. It can almost certainly address the problem with your customer's truck.
https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/shop/product/ncom04
They very rarely come up for sale used, and when they do they sell for close to the price of a new one. Given the price tag it's worth seeing if there's anyone here on the forum with one who is near you and your customer. Many members on this forum are very good about helping out other owners in person where practical.

If you're a pro you probably know about the Autocom, but it's way more expensive.

Thanks for the kind words, its a policy I have tried to live by.. Do you know if the Nanocom can also program other Land Rovers such as a 2011 Range Rover HSE, I will most likely buy the Nanocom anyway to help this kid. If I can use it on other applications it would make the purchase a more cost effective tool. I have several RR HSE customers that I have had to send to the dealer. Recently to reprogram a central junction box

Jay

Old 11-29-2021, 06:17 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the response, I am going to look into the nononcom mentioned it the first reply

Jay

Old 11-29-2021, 06:18 PM
6th Gear

I am in Largo, FL near Tampa, St Pete, Clearwater

Old 11-29-2021, 07:28 PM
Camel Trophy

You have to buy separate software licenses (unlock codes) for other Land Rover models, and for certain systems.

Not all models are covered, but the 2011 RR HSE would be included in the unlock code pack for the 2010-2013 L322 (the third-gen RR produced from 2001 to 2013). Unfortunately that unlock code pack is another $282.

The list of unlock code packs for sale are listed at the pages linked below. You can poke around at that site for a lot of other info about the Nanocom.
https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/product/nanocom-evolution-unlock-code-packs
https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/shop/browse

Old 12-01-2021, 07:25 AM
6th Gear

Hi mlm01 thank you for the info. Truly appreciate it

Jay

Old 12-01-2021, 09:25 AM
Camel Trophy

You are welcome, Jay.

I started another thread asking if anyone in your area has a Nanocom they would loan to you or your customer (or bring by to do the work), but so far I've had no responses.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:59 AM
6th Gear

Thank you again for the help

Jay