Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The infamous Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The infamous Heater Core

So only had the 2000 disco II since July. But before that I was a Jeep re builder and decided to try my hand at a disco. A few things are new to me but the one thing I cannot figure out is why I am not getting any hot air to blow thru the vents. I flushed the system but decided to remove the rubber lines for the heater intake, out that connect to the aluminum pipes at the firewall. I had a hose fitting that would fit tight inside the tubes so I decided to try and see if anything would flow thru the heater core and I could not get any liquid to flow forwards, backwards, upsidedown, etc through the core. Obviously I looked thru the RAVE first and it did not show any type of control valve but I am wondering if there is one. I removed the glove box and under dash panel, didn't see where the lines connected to the firewall but I did follow the lines to the heater core and did not see any control valves in the way. Any comments or ideas? I do want to keep the heater core so I am not willing to bypass. Thanks

Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Three Wheeling

Sounds like a plugged core to me. Mine started leaking last year so I had to replace it, probably the easiest core I've ever changed. Good luck I've seen some people pour flushing solution straight into the core to loosen em up but they usually end up leaking after you start dumping chemicals in them. If that's the original core its done it's time..

Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Mudding

Did you use K-Seal, or any other sealant to prevent further head gasket leaks?

I did that on my last DII and it gummed up the heater core preventing it from blowing.

Just a thought.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05gixxer
Mine started leaking last year so I had to replace it, probably the easiest core I've ever changed.
My understanding is that changing the heater core in a Disco II is a debacle at best because the entire dash must be removed. Please elaborate on how you changed your heater core in as much detail as you care to share.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I would second the stop leak blocking the heater core, but why were they using stop leak to begin with is your bigger question.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
I would second the stop leak blocking the heater core, but why were they using stop leak to begin with is your bigger question.
To put a Band-Aid on a head gasket job. Should have done it right to begin with.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

exactly

Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 AM
4wd Low

I have done several heater core changes on several vehicles...this one does not look simple to say the least. But I have found several write ups and suggestions (heliarc fix for the pipes) to hopefully prevent leaks from installing the new one.

I am not excited to hear that the previous owner might have thrown in a temp fix to head gasket repair. Not like it can't be done in a weekend but it ticks me off just a bit to not have honest people to deal with.

I will post what I find. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 10-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Before you tear into this, did you properly bleed the coolant system, if not, you will have air trapped in the heater core.
As for stop leak, of any kind, don't use it in these engine or you will have to pay big bucks to replace it.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Drifting

So...the entire dash does not need to be removed? I have been led to believe that changing the heater core in D2 is a 12 hour job because of its difficulty to access, etc.? Every heater core I've changed in other vehicles was simple. Is this also the case with my D2? Have I been misled?

Quick Reply: The infamous Heater Core