Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

info on ecu swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on ecu swap

My disco that i decided to turn into a submarine got totaled by the insurence company. This is good news to me because now i can buy it back for about 1/4 of the price. i have some questions though. The dealership didn't even hook up the reader to the car before the adjuster said "screw it". I know the main ECU is bad (shorted out) and i am pretty sure the trans ecu is out (even though it is supposed to be water proof-so i hear). is this just a simple matter of unplug and plug the new one in or do you have to reset the softwere or anything like that. I will be buying the vehicle back on a salvage title and fixing it myself.

on a lighter note i am more than likely to buy a 96 disco from a guy at work this weekend. It needs a drive shaft, but he only wants $1500 for it.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Drifting
Default RE: info on ecu swap

ok, engine ecu is easy to change but will need a security reprogram from dealer, as for the trans ecu, car does not have one, its a mechanical trans.id also worry about water ingress in all the wiring and relays thats what you really have to worry about

Old 04-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: info on ecu swap

sorry i forgot to say that it's a DII 1999. thanks for the info on that. the trans ECU is supposed to be on top of the trans somewere. the people at the dealership were saying that it should not be bad because they are not "prone to water damage", however the codes that i got would indicate a bad trans ecu. Is there a risk of shortting out an ECU that you replaced do to a different ECU malfunctioning because of water damage?