Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info for my disco II

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Info for my disco II

Hello i'm new to land rovers,
just got a 2002 discovery II and would like to do some mods to it, wanna get the off road look. Probably wont be doing much since i live in florida but i like yhe look. i wanna lift it but i have been reading and it seems like if i do it there is others things i have to do, can some one help me with this, thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can do a 2" lift without changing the pinion angles. OME or RTE are the 2 best choices. If you haven't, either way, you need to re-build your front driveshaft to include greasable u-joints.

How high are you wanting to go? The higher you go, the more you kill your MPG.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you live? I live in south florida and off-road quite a bit at J.W. Corbett. There are a few places in Florida to wheel.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Three Wheeling

How many miles? Do the 60k service and if your front drive shaft has not been rebuilt with three greaseable u joints have it done NOW! A few hundred bucks now will save you thousands later in a new tranny. Look at Old Man Emu for complete suspension kits. Don't do spacers, waste of time.

By the way, I live in O town and am setting mine up gradually.

I did this and have been very pleased with the results
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21714

Welcome

Old 05-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah before doing any mods make sure your ride is in tip top condition and up to date on maintenance.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live in south florida, boca raton, so i dont think there is much off roading around me.
as far as the truck goes. it has 80,000 miles on it and its in great running shape all of the services have been resently done. i will look into the greasable u joint thing. thanks for the info.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Three Wheeling

The front Driveshaft AND greasing it every oil change is critcal.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Teyo67
i live in south florida, boca raton, so i dont think there is much off roading around me.
as far as the truck goes. it has 80,000 miles on it and its in great running shape all of the services have been resently done. i will look into the greasable u joint thing. thanks for the info.
There is a great park open to 4x4s about 40min from you. It is off northlake blvd. It is where most of the locals go. Unless you want to drive to north/central/west florida.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
...OME or RTE are the 2 best choices...
Old Man Emu

Rover Tyme

Just in case you didnt know when the abbriviations meant.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to buck the trend here and offer you an alternative viewpoint for consideration...

If you're not going to do any serious wheeling, you'd be fine to run the 2" spacers from Toddco to get the lift you want. The main problem with using the spacers is that your rear shocks will be too short at the new height and will extend to the max on even moderate bumps, like going too fast over a speedbump. The solution to this is to replace your shocks (which, based on your mileage, are worn out anyway) with some that are 2" longer. Toddco Suspensions sells the 2" spacer kit for $169 and a full set of 4 Pro-Comp shocks that are an extra 2" in length for $189. The general consensus on the board is that spacers are EVIL, but they will get you the look you want and if you replace your shocks you'll eliminate what seems to be the only real drawback. You can do the spacers and shocks for less than half the cost of springs and shocks. You could save even more by buying the spacers that jycsalas just took off of his truck and has posted in the classifieds section at $115 shipped. Plus, if you email Todd a pic of your truck he'll give you a 10% discount (I think it's 10%, but it may only be 5%) on your order for the shocks.

It's also argued that using the spacers to lift your truck is unsafe because it alters the dynamics of handling, but I don't see that it's any more unsafe than lifting it 2" with springs. I have the 2" spacers now and have not noticed any difference in handling at high-speed or low. That having been said, I don't drive my Disco aggressively. It's a Discovery, they're no fun to drive fast and throw it into corners anyway! I have the spacers on my truck now, with stock shocks, and am not the least bit displeased other than the issue of the rear shocks now being too short. I'm going to slap a set of the el-cheapo Pro-Comp shocks on her in the next week or so and drive it like that all summer long.

I know that Pro-Comp shocks also get trashed on the forum boards, but they're CHEAP and they're still a big improvement from stock. I have a buddy with a D1 and his wife drives a D2, they both wheel them and both trucks have Pro-Comp shocks and he says they've been great. He's had them on his D1 for 4 years, and the D1 is their more hardcore rig.

You're probably going to want tires too, especially if you lift the truck, to round out the look. I Highly recommend the Hankook DynaPro RF10. I just put a set on my truck and they look and drive great. Plus, they're more than $100 less per wheel than the BF Goodrich AT.

Here are some pics of my truck with the 2" spacers from Toddco and the Hankook tires in size 265/65/18.

Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails Info for my disco II-rover-1-.jpg   Info for my disco II-rover-2-.jpg   Info for my disco II-rover-3-.jpg   Info for my disco II-rover-4-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Info for my disco II