Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector harness 6 & 8 swapped for months

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 06:48 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injector harness 6 & 8 swapped for months

The perils of buying a used car:

Just pulled the upper intake manifold and found that the fuel injector wiring harness on the passenger (RH) side was unwrapped, and the plugs for cylinder 6 and 8 had been swapped.

I've been driving the truck for months since I bought it without much issue.
Recently, I got lean codes for both banks. A few days ago, I got a misfire on cylinder 8, which is why I pulled the manifold. Figured it was plugs/cables.

I'm sort of surprised the engine ran relatively well (and for several long-distance trips) with the injector plugs swapped.

Can I just swap it back the correct way, or has the ECU learned this 'wrong' configuration?

I just thought I'd share.

2003 disco, 130K miles

Last edited by RoverSeriesInf; 03-21-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:04 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Wow, something unusual but worked. Isn't it that those harness won't go any further? Seems like its made to just extend to a certain injector. Well, since it was unwrapped, most likely they rewired it but who knows, it worked. All I know is that the firing order will be messed up and will spray wrong time. I guess that should be correct though.
Gerry

Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine was completely rebuilt (top hat sleeves, complete top and bottom end recon) around 15K miles ago by the previous owner.

Unfortunately, it's clear the shop did a sloppy job putting it all back together. Lots of little things were put back incorrectly, or in the wrong order, wrong length/size bolts, lots of broken and missing clips and brackets.

I'd obviously like to swap the injector harness plugs back to the correct position, per the wiring diagrams in RAVE. However, I'm now worried it's been rewiring further along the harness where I can't see.

The vehicle has always had extremely poor acceleration. I'm hoping this is a big factor.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverSeriesInf
The engine was completely rebuilt (top hat sleeves, complete top and bottom end recon) around 15K miles ago by the previous owner.

Unfortunately, it's clear the shop did a sloppy job putting it all back together. Lots of little things were put back incorrectly, or in the wrong order, wrong length/size bolts, lots of broken and missing clips and brackets.

I'd obviously like to swap the injector harness plugs back to the correct position, per the wiring diagrams in RAVE. However, I'm now worried it's been rewiring further along the harness where I can't see.

The vehicle has always had extremely poor acceleration. I'm hoping this is a big factor.
Ah, the perils of owning another's build. You'll sort it out man, sounds like you've got your head in the right place.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverSeriesInf

take pics before you start rewiring. At least you'll be able to get back to current set up if fix doesn't work. I ran my truck with a busted hg from Jacksonville to DC. Thought it was exhaust manifold gasket. These engines are tough, just the overheating issues eat them up.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestfl
take pics before you start rewiring. At least you'll be able to get back to current set up if fix doesn't work. I ran my truck with a busted hg from Jacksonville to DC. Thought it was exhaust manifold gasket. These engines are tough, just the overheating issues eat them up.
If I recall correctly, two cylinders, on opposite sides, fire at the same time. So you probably still have one cylinder carrying the load (of two) and is weak on power but running in time.