Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inline thermostat mod. Do it. Love it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 09:23 PM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I too am a big fan of this modification, having installed Extincts kit earlier this fall. Temps are upper 170-lower 180's. However now with the colder weather I am getting a p0126 code (insufficient coolant temperature) on my Ultragauge.. I haven't seen an actual check engine light code, but having to reset the Ultragauge everytime I start the truck is a bit inconvenient.
Perhaps I should switch to a 190 thermostat until spring?

Old 12-12-2020, 12:51 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a 78 deg thermostat in during our lockdown, my truck using the ultra gauge seems to sit between 185 and 190 in a o4 v8

Old 12-12-2020, 06:34 AM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete C
I too am a big fan of this modification, having installed Extincts kit earlier this fall. Temps are upper 170-lower 180's. However now with the colder weather I am getting a p0126 code (insufficient coolant temperature) on my Ultragauge.. I haven't seen an actual check engine light code, but having to reset the Ultragauge everytime I start the truck is a bit inconvenient.
Perhaps I should switch to a 190 thermostat until spring?
That's part of the beauty of this mod. You can easily use whichever temperature thermostat suits your environmental needs without losing almost half of your coolant.
This isn't just about the temperature, people. This is about component durability and system simplicity. The only noted drawback so far has been a very slight increase in the time it takes to bring the cabin heater up to full temperature.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arains44
Inline mod is a must.
It's only a "must" if you live in hot or normal climate. And it'll run rich. Hope you like getting low MPG.

You do not want this if you live in freezing climates. Your gonna rich.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:18 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

@Jackspratt2 not significantly - that was the normal temp range for these engines for years until I believe 03 or 04 when LR went to a 190 shipped later revised to a 180 due to overheating issues. All the inline does is get rid of the oem style thermostat and go back to the style and general location the engine was designed for.

The Disco as delivered had a thermostat that opened at 179 and was fully open at 204, once we are in that range we are in the normal operating temp range of the engine. As well you can just put a "hotter" thermostat in if required.

The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages :
  • Simpler coolant path
  • Easy to change thermostat with little coolant loss
  • Better thermostat location for engine cooling on the hot side rather than than cold side

Old 12-12-2020, 05:20 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

@Tony Luna That is a great bleeder

Old 12-12-2020, 05:51 PM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackspratt2
It's only a "must" if you live in hot or normal climate. And it'll run rich. Hope you like getting low MPG.

Wrong.
You can put whatever thermostat you want in the inline housing. If you live in a colder climate, put in a higher temp thermostat.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackspratt2

The D2 ECU does not affect fueling based on temperature after the first 2 to 3 minutes of running. It does run in open loop in the first 2-3 minutes, but almost immediately goes to closed loop fueling even before the engine is above 140 degrees using the oxygen sensors to control mixture and keeping it right around 14.7. Easy to see for yourself if you chart the 02's on a cold start when they start cycling.

The only way the D2 will run rich is if the 02's are dead, and even then it would take a huge altitude change. Both my front 02s are dead on my 250k mile 00 and I got 17mpg on multiple 600 mile trips this summer. With dead 02's the ECU defaults to speed/tps programming that runs a bit to the lean side.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hysteria
...I'm curious how we all decided on 180 as the desired operating temp...
Installing a 180F thermostat does NOT decide nor sets an operating temperature. Only decides at what coolant temperature the thermostat changes status to ensure coolant will not be at a lower temperature than the thermostat rating.

In other words, a thermostat does not allow running cooler which is different than not allowing running hotter. You can still run as hot as you want by pulling a trailer, climbing, high ambient, poor radiator flow, poor air flow...

Last edited by Externet; 12-13-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:40 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I buy one?

Hello all,
I just bought and brought home my 03 Disco last night. I ordered a new front driveshaft already, am dealing with the three amigos, and want to do this inline mod. How do I purchase this kit?

Forgive my ignorance, I’m brand new to the forum.

Thanks!

Rick

Quick Reply: Inline thermostat mod. Do it. Love it.