Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inline Thermostat Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Inline Thermostat Question

For those who have done the in-line thermo mod, what did you do with or about the OEM thermostat? Replace it with another bit of couplings, or just gut it?
I've been through soooo many threads showing where everyone put the new housing, but I've yet to see what was done with the old thermostat piping arrangement.
Please post up some pictures. I'm getting ready to do this and am looking for examples of what worked for you.

TIA
-eddie

Old 01-11-2019, 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

There is a write up in the mods section with detailed instructions and pictures.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

“If” I ever do this the thermostat is going in the same spot as the OEM thermostat. Then I’ll just use a 90 vs a T up top and avoid chopping up the upper fan shroud!

Old 01-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
“If” I ever do this the thermostat is going in the same spot as the OEM thermostat. Then I’ll just use a 90 vs a T up top and avoid chopping up the upper fan shroud!
It is better if you do it at the top, that way you can remove or replace the stat without losing a drop of coolant. Also, no need to cut the fan shroud if you do the back to back chevy housings. Early model S10 housing with 95-96 Chevy C/K. C/K bolts screw in to the S10 housing with an impact and you don't need nuts as long as you don't overtighten.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Davis31052
For those who have done the in-line thermo mod, what did you do with or about the OEM thermostat? Replace it with another bit of couplings, or just gut it?
I've been through soooo many threads showing where everyone put the new housing, but I've yet to see what was done with the old thermostat piping arrangement.
Please post up some pictures. I'm getting ready to do this and am looking for examples of what worked for you.

TIA
-eddie
Autozone/advance makes a hose repair kit, use the middle size splice and just put it where the oem stat goes. Never had one fail, been running them for years.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Alex M’s write up has all you need — I did the same mod and couldn’t be happier

Old 01-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I would look into the Chevy housings, but I actually just got the inline 1.25 unit that I’ve seen used on LR’s. Customer bought an 03 D2 that had one to many people working on it under the hood, and they requested I take the rigged aftermarket stuff off. It was running hot, so I’ve ordered a new radiator, water pump, hoses, 180F OEM style thermostat (picked up another one locally), and a new coolant reservoir. Thing had more hose clamps & patches of hose than I’d ever trust. Funny thing was when I removed the inline thermostat I found a 195F thermostat in it!!!!! Kinda defeats the entire purpose of the inline mod IMHO.

I’ll possibly mess with it on one of my personal LR’s but we’ll see. Mine run perfectly fine with true 180F OEM style thermostats. Loosing coolant isn’t a concern when messing with the thermostat as I normally perform a flush anytime I am messing with the cooling system.

Besides the **** poor mechanic work on that 03 it’s held in there as best as it could. Engine runs good, but so many things were border line insane. The zip tie art work holding the airbox together was interesting to say the least, along with the crazy ground strap being used because the previous owner didn’t install the proper pole battery...

All the parts should be here tomorrow & I’ll get that 03 on the road to recovery.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

I think the lower hose is a 14” AC delco generic flexi hose iirc. Just goes from the lower rad to the y fitting off of the water pump

Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi.
The picture posted above at #4 is my vehicle. Details :
The in-line sourced from two mating pieces found at a boneyard to make it 90 degrees; the long side sawed off shorter. Thermostat disc double perforated 3mm
https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...-90-degree.jpg

Earlier lower connection, with metal conduit elbow and a T welded for the reservoir and heater hose. Will never collapse on suction :
https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...ottom-pipe.jpg
https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...ottom-pipe.jpg

Later and current configuration of lower plumbing. No complications down there, and a drain cap inserted as it is the lowest point. A sawed-off section of a stock lower hose made it.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...bing-lower.jpg

Current upper contraptions
https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...Eoriginal.jpeg

Hope helps someone.

Last edited by Externet; 01-12-2019 at 10:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
piperff (01-14-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

When you do the mod you use a bmw hose. You dont do anything with the old thermostat except throw it away. The inline mod is one of the best things you can do. Highly recommend. I was running 183/184 permanently after that.

Quick Reply: Inline Thermostat Question