Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008 | 11:32 PM
|
TReK
Default Inside Rear View Mirror

I just got home from work after 3 weeks and when I jumped in the rover found my rear view mirror hanging from the wire for the auto dim function. I didn't really pay much attention at first until I went to put it back up and noticed that the whole piece that is attached to the windshield was still attached to the mirror. Looking a little closer I noticed that when it fell it took part of the inside layer of glass with it. It's obvious that I now have the choice of living without my rear view mirror and a weak spot in the windshield or replacing the windshield. Not a real tough decision to make. I am just curious if anyone else has had this happen before? I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow so everyone can see what I'm talking about.

Old 12-08-2008 | 05:36 PM
Team Owner
Default RE: Inside Rear View Mirror

I have never had the windshield "break" like that, but I have had a rearview mirror fall off before, you can buy rearview mirror glue at the store.
But you need a new windshield.

Old 12-08-2008 | 08:14 PM
|
TReK

Next time home it will be a new windshield. Rover is going in Wednesday for head gaskets and water pump so I can't afford a windshield on top of that.

Old 12-08-2008 | 08:21 PM
Team Owner

You dont have full glass coverage with your insurance company?

All glass on both of our cars is covered with a zero $ deductable.
The drivers side mirror was cracked in a parking lot while on vacation summer '07, fixed for free.
Now the truck needs a windshield, it has a stone chip in it, I will wait until spring to get that fixed though.

Old 12-08-2008 | 10:23 PM
|
TReK

When i was in Arizona I had full coverage for glass. Here in Colorado my insurance company doesn't offer glass coverage. Any claim for a new windshield goes as a normal claim and I have to pay the deductible which is most likely more than the cost of the windshield.

Old 12-09-2008 | 04:31 PM
Team Owner

I would find out how much my deductable is, that is a must know so that you know how much money you need sitting in the back to cover it in case of a claim.
Here in MI almost all glass companies will waive your insurance deductable for a glass claim.

Old 12-09-2008 | 04:36 PM
TReK

The window and the window seal will run about $450 if you have it done.

I would try to remove the clip with the glass on it and use the kit to install
the rear view mirror and see if it will work.

Old 12-09-2008 | 11:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You know I've been thinking about doing a relocation on my mirror. I really feel like it's causing a big blind spot, so I kinda want to try and move it up, maybe to that removable plastic cover in the headliner trim in front of the light. Any thoughts? Possible at all?

Old 03-30-2009 | 08:38 PM
Three Wheeling

AK Rover,
The same thing just happened to me today. Saw the mirror hanging and when I took a closer there was a chunk of the windshield attached to the back of the mirror.

Did you have to replace the windshield or were you able to repair it somehow?

Also, how did you remove the winshield piece from the back of the mirror?

Thanks

Old 03-30-2009 | 10:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by AK Rover
When i was in Arizona I had full coverage for glass. Here in Colorado my insurance company doesn't offer glass coverage. Any claim for a new windshield goes as a normal claim and I have to pay the deductible which is most likely more than the cost of the windshield.
Ya in Arizona I had full glass coverage as well but in Idaho no coverage and that's a bad thing for a disco!!

Quick Reply: Inside Rear View Mirror