Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing OEM sunroofs in a DISCO S

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing OEM sunroofs in a DISCO S

I've acquired all the Sunroof parts from a SE and I'm looking into installing into my 2004 Disco S. My previous projects of installing OEM foglights and the Rear Jump seats has taught me that LR built to one spec - that all models have the same body/frame mounts and wiring harness. (At least for MY04). I haven't pulled the headliner yet (which needs it anyways as the glue is failing...) and check to see if my assumption holds true. So I thought I would ask the group if anyone knows if a DISCO S has the necessary wiring in the overhead for sunroofs? Thanks.

Chris

Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I would be content that you don't have them and live with it. Sunroofs are just another place to leak water, wind and give you troubles.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual sunroofs was one of the "cool" features which turned me onto the disco...start cutting and put them in! Hey, even if they cant open they will still look cool!

Cant answer the question specifically but when i fixed the sunroofs in my D1 it had all sorts of extra wires up there that weren't in use. I guess for rear AC/air control?

I do have a couple of tips for you when installing the new sunroof:
1. Use hose clamps on the drain tube connection. Rover though just slipping the hose over the nipple would hold up after 10 years...no sir.
2. Make sure you dont put a screw through the front drain tubes when re-installing the sun visor tray. Sounds stupid, i know, but mine came like this straight from the factory...screw went right through the tube (must have been assembled on a Friday afternoon)
3. The drain tubes connect to a plastic part that is caulked into the metal drip pan, when the caulk fails it leaks. Make sure you use a good silicon and reapply around the plastic insert (just make sure you dont clog the drain tube...)

Old 05-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You are crazy..

If you want to turn your $6,000.00 truck into something that is going to fetch $750.00 on craigslist...go for it.. There is no wiring in the ceiling as well as an ecu, wiring harness , etc. I think you watched to many West Coast Customs episodes.. It will be a nightmare.. Save yourself some sanity and sell that crap on eBay. I just replaced 2 sunroofs on my 00 DII and I never open them on my 04 DII. I will never open them on the 00 DII. For one , if you have a rack on your truck, what's the f$cking point. I have never met anyone who didn't have a leaky one as well. Go out to the garage and take a 2x4 and smack the crap out of yourself so you will know how you will feel if you actually do this to your truck....

Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Screw these guys, install the sunroofs, then go to the marina and get some sealant, marine grade.
Then with the sunroofs closed seal them shut, they will still leak, but it wont be as bad.

Seriously, I opened both of mine the day I test drove my truck back in '07, they have not been touched since.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default oh yes..

Originally Posted by Spike555
Screw these guys, install the sunroofs, then go to the marina and get some sealant, marine grade.
Then with the sunroofs closed seal them shut, they will still leak, but it wont be as bad.

Seriously, I opened both of mine the day I test drove my truck back in '07, they have not been touched since.
I opened the ones on my 04 the day i bought it to make sure they work. I then pulled the fuses for them. For christ sake..i can barley open my car windows for maybe 30 days a year here. The rest of the time my ***** are on fire...

Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Team Owner

I dont roll my windows down because it messes up my hair.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Lol...

I dont roll my windows down because it messes up my hair.
You know when you are starting to lose your hair is when you notice you have more hair on your *** than you do on your head

So don't drive naked....

Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

Thats why I shave my ***. lol

Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default oh my

Thats why I shave my ***. lol
so... I'm not alone....