Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

instrument cluster... again

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
http://web.nanocom.it/download/VALEO...overy%20II.pdf

I'll have to check my hawkeye and see if the same option is hidden in there somewhere. The nanocom is SO much easier to use and has many more features. You can sync the odometer to the bcu. You can even read the EKA code. It will sync keyless remotes with just the 6 digit code, etc.
If I read that right, it seems the cluster is to look for the ACE, SLS, and HDC are all on the same on/off setting? So if the SLS light works, it seems the ACE light should also work right?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bballjames
If I read that right, it seems the cluster is to look for the ACE, SLS, and HDC are all on the same on/off setting? So if the SLS light works, it seems the ACE light should also work right?
Not sure. I'm at work and the nanocom and the disco are at home. If I remember, I'll try it tonight and see what it shows. If it works, you might be able to ship me one of your many clusters and maybe I can set it up? I'm not sure where the setting is saved... in the cluster or the BCU. Also I wonder if it will let me change the setting if there isn't an ACE computer to talk to.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Winching

Not sure. I'm at work and the nanocom and the disco are at home. If I remember, I'll try it tonight and see what it shows. If it works, you might be able to ship me one of your many clusters and maybe I can set it up? I'm not sure where the setting is saved... in the cluster or the BCU. Also I wonder if it will let me change the setting if there isn't an ACE computer to talk to.
That would be great. Thanks jafir

Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

That would be great. Thanks jafir
So looking though the manual, it looks like the ACE computer provides ground. And there is a fuse that provides power. Might be worth checking if it hasn't been checked already.

Originally Posted by rave
On vehicles fitted with ACE an LED within the instrument pack is used to alert the driver that the ACE ECU has detected a fault in the system, providing the driver with a visible warning. The ACE warning lamp utilises an amber LED and a clear legend.

When the ignition is switched on the ACE ECU illuminates the LED to provide a self-check, providing there is no fault it will remain illuminated for 3 seconds or until the ignition is switched off.

The power input for the LED is supplied by the instrument pack via fuse 13. The ACE ECU provides the earth path to illuminate the warning lamp.
The voltage on the earth path from the ACE ECU to the instrument pack has the following functions:
l < 1.8 volts = warning lamp on.
l > 7.7 volts = warning lamp off.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Winching

So looking though the manual, it looks like the ACE computer provides ground. And there is a fuse that provides power. Might be worth checking if it hasn't been checked already.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look. I did check all the fuses a couple days ago, but that's not to say that's not the case. Also, I would think if a fuse was blown causing that not to illuminate, it wouldn't work when I put my original cluster back in...

Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look. I did check all the fuses a couple days ago, but that's not to say that's not the case. Also, I would think if a fuse was blown causing that not to illuminate, it wouldn't work when I put my original cluster back in...
Good point.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

So it will change the settings. There are actually quite a few that are interesting. Some make sense like "gulf" to turn on the alarm for the over speed warning, I assume. There is one for "police" that I'm wondering what it does. Anyway, I'm not sure if these settings get stored in the cluster or the BCU, but they get stored somewhere.

I didn't actually change the settings in the video, I had already done that part.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Winching

So it will change the settings. There are actually quite a few that are interesting. Some make sense like "gulf" to turn on the alarm for the over speed warning, I assume. There is one for "police" that I'm wondering what it does. Anyway, I'm not sure if these settings get stored in the cluster or the BCU, but they get stored somewhere.

Nanocom ACE setting for instrument cluster - YouTube

I didn't actually change the settings in the video, I had already done that part.
Very interesting. Thanks a million for looking into that jafir. I'm guessing the information must be stored in the cluster, because obviously my ecu is programmed to send those signals to the cluster and they worked before. So something in the cluster itself is not recognizing those systems and therefore not illuminating the warning lamps. I emailed Paul Grant to try and get a cluster from a truck that had ACE and SLS equipped and could confirm those warning lamps are working properly. But I wonder if one of the clusters I have could simply be 'programmed' to illuminate those lights...

Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I bet it can. I'd be willing to try if you wanted to pay to ship it to me.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Winching

I bet it can. I'd be willing to try if you wanted to pay to ship it to me.
That would be awesome if you would be willing. If you PM your info, I'll get it in the mail. And I can paypal you a couple bucks for return shipping as well.

Thanks

Quick Reply: instrument cluster... again