Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument cluster VIN programming

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Instrument cluster VIN programming

Was trying to check/program the BCU to make sure it was changed to coils from air.
My scan tool (Foxwell tool which works awesome on my DD 04) isn't reading the VIN and won't see anything in the special programming functions. I do have the option to "program" the VIN if I want.
A little bit of background on this particular 04:
When I got it the dash pod was cracked and broken and instrument cluster was just flopping around. All the lights worked when key was turned for bulb check including the check engine. BUT even though I had codes for various issues the check engine never came on.

Here's my theory I'm looking for validation on.
The previous owner put in a used instrument cluster and it's not programmed with the same VIN as the ECU/BCU etc and not communicating correctly??

Is programming the VIN in the instrument cluster even a thing?

Before I program the VIN I wanted to bounce this off the forum for opinion. I don't want to program it and permanently screw something up.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by 04in719
Was trying to check/program the BCU to make sure it was changed to coils from air.
My scan tool (Foxwell tool which works awesome on my DD 04) isn't reading the VIN and won't see anything in the special programming functions. I do have the option to "program" the VIN if I want.
A little bit of background on this particular 04:
When I got it the dash pod was cracked and broken and instrument cluster was just flopping around. All the lights worked when key was turned for bulb check including the check engine. BUT even though I had codes for various issues the check engine never came on.

Here's my theory I'm looking for validation on.
The previous owner put in a used instrument cluster and it's not programmed with the same VIN as the ECU/BCU etc and not communicating correctly??

Is programming the VIN in the instrument cluster even a thing?

Before I program the VIN I wanted to bounce this off the forum for opinion. I don't want to program it and permanently screw something up.

Thanks in advance.
You are in the wrong module. SLS on/off isn’t in the BCU it’s in the ABS/TC/HDC SLABS Unit. If the gauge cluster isn’t communicating properly it won’t have the bulb check when you turn the key & the Odometer will be flashing.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good stuff, thanks.
I just can't get into any of the "special" modules like I can on my other 04. They all just have 3 choices. Status, live, special (or similar wording, I'm at work right now).

That combined with not reading/having a blank VIN lead me to think something wasn't talking to something else properly.

I'll tinker more this evening and post any findings, meantime if anyone else has some puzzle pieces to throw in I'd appreciate it.