Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument panel bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 03:36 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument panel bulb replacement

Hi all,
A question: when starting the car (or better turning the key to position II) should virtually ALL the indicators light up for a short time?
I am asking because (unlike the manual) when I turn the key to pos. II, only several indicators light up. Most of them show no sign of life (HDC, TC, Hi/Lo range, Overspeed, diff lock, SRS, Off Road, Glow plug, Fuel filter, Transmission oil temperature, Active cornering, HDC failure) which, according to the manual, would indicate the bulbs are dead.
Can anybody confirm that all the bulbs should activate for a short period of time?
Thank you in advance for a response!
Regards

Old 03-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there should be like 20 lights that come on in the #2 position

Old 03-13-2015, 11:07 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya those all should come on. Unless the truck isn't fitted with them (such as ACE). If you have a hawkeye or something similiar you can do a bulb check on whichever lights aren't working. If they still don't light up, then you will need to replace the instrument cluster. The lights on the D2 cluster are leds soldered onto the circuit board. No way of replacing individual bulbs (unlike on a D1 from my understanding).

I had to go through this when i first bought mine, the previous owner ripped the three amigo leds right off the circuit board so they wouldn't show up. If I were you I would just pop the instrument cluster out (only takes about 15 minutes) and look to see if the leds are still intact on the circuit board. Then you will know really quickly if that's your issue, or if it's something else.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Let me guess the amigos and check engine dont work

Old 03-13-2015, 03:46 PM
4wd High

Thank you for the answers. I thought these are normal bulbs ready for replacement. One thing I was going to ask was whether it is possible to switch them off by connecting the diagnosis PC, but I guess this is not possible.

Last edited by Kordian; 03-13-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Winching

It is possible for certain ones. Like the ACE light and the SLS (rear airbags). You can turn those off. But not all of them.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:29 AM
4wd High

OK, today I disassembled the instruments. There were only 2 wire sets coming to the instruments panel (from above the panel). As you mentioned only a few bulbs are accessible from the back. Any ideas what to do next?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Winching

Did you check if the LEDs are still on the circuit board? Sometimes people cover them with black electrical tape and you can just remove. If you're as unfortunate as I was they removed the LEDs altogether and you'll need to replace and re synch the instrument cluster.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM
4wd High

Well, actually I did not look into the inside of the panel. Just disassembled it and removed the back milky cover. Found nothing but electronics there and many screws. I am not sure if this is enough to unscrew them to get to the leds and was affraid to do more damage.
But if somebody confirms how to get to the inside of the panel without damaging anything, I will continue with my quest :-)

Old 03-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Jnj
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you have the cluster out pull out those hideous green bulbs and get three T10 led bulbs. I replaced all the main bulbs with blue led. Working on putting red led in all the buttons.

Quick Reply: Instrument panel bulb replacement