Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake temps, whatcha got?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake temps, whatcha got?

I never paid attention to it before, but now that my o2's have been replaced i stopped monitoring them on the scanner and started watchin the intake temps.

the intake temp sensor is part of the maf on these right?

what kind of temps do you guys see? please state regular ambient temps, sitting idle, highway, aroudn town, if you have a cone filter, standard box, hiflow filter standard box, or snorkle see if there is a difference!

I havent put my replacement airbox in yet (stock one cracked by one of the latches) so i slapped an autozone cone filter on the end of the maf while i wait for it to come. im assuming my temps are now much higher then stock airbox. I started watchin the temps the last few days:

~70 degrees ambient i was seeing about 125F around town, 135F highway (must create a recirculating dead zone in the bay at speeds, i would have guess LOWER temps but no!) and a max of around 140 stuck at a light with coolant temps maxing for the fanclutch kick down around 198.

Note these temps where all watched after at full operating temp.

Also curious, the immediate startup temps where not as accurate as i would hope. my wireless themo before i left the house said 67, the outside temp on the rover said 70, coolant temp at startup was 68, and the start up intake temp said 74. truck wasnt in sun, chalk it up to just very wide tollerances for cheap sensores haha

EDIT: results after putting stock airbox n new filter on page 2.

Last edited by grandkodiak; 06-22-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

low 100s for the most part. 94-112 average zone. with lowest temps on acceleration.
i haven't monitored in a while, but saw a drop with addition of rai.
85-90ish ambient

Last edited by dusty1; 06-13-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

As a guess, the intake temperature should be the same as shown pressing the 'ext' button on the airconditioning controls. Please correct me.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Externet
As a guess, the intake temperature should be the same as shown pressing the 'ext' button on the airconditioning controls. Please correct me.
i think no. ac temp sensor is in front of engine ( i think) intake air has to deal with engine heat (maf location)

Old 06-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only when you first start it up and the engines dead ambient not sure where the outside temp guage is, but its baseline is off a few degrees from the intake temp and my handy dandy wireless weather computer thingy. airbox is goin in probably tomorrow after work, see what kind of new numbers i get and see if there is a seat of the pants feel in changes in throttle response or gas miliage with a fresh tank. id like to do the same again when i get a snorkle eventually.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

According to my Garmin Ecoroute, my intake temp is a few degrees above the outside temperature. A little higher at slow speeds and a little lower at highway speeds.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

My intake temps are generally low 110-120 after the truck is warm, which does not reflect the EXT temp on the climate control.

I think that temp is so high because the under-hood temps are so high. I've been considering the best way to add a vent so more air circulates thru the engine bay.

That said, I suspect these trucks would benefit from a cold air intake system. I remember someone cobbled together a ghetto CAI and it had a negligible effect on mileage. I'd still like to try it though, just because the intake air temps are so high I simply have to see it with my own eyes.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Interesting.
If the sensor is before the throttle butterfly, (inside the MAF) with so much air flow in it, should show same as the 'EXT' as exterior ambient temperature, as there is no heat soaking being plastic ducted.
If the sensor is after the throttle butterfly, I see two possibilities... one, is colder than exterior ambient; that is why there is a heater hose in it; and, at the same time, may be warmer as that is the purpose of the hot coolant, plus some heat convection from the engine block to the intake manifold.

But the definition of IAT is for the intake, that is, before the intake valves, not external ambient; so has to be influenced by how long has the engine been running and at what speed .
Should be nice to find the temperature change by pinching the heater hose. It should not register being the sensor upflow at the MAF.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dr. Gordo, I plan on getting Gen Right hood vents and installing them. The under hood temps are high and they will help get rid of that unwanted heat.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Meh, don't waist your time with the louvers...just do this!

Name:  lakenatomae.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  199.2 KB

Quick Reply: Intake temps, whatcha got?