Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent oil light at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019 | 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Normally the 03’s with issues barely made it off the showroom floor. 99% of those vehicles either got new front covers or entirely new 4.6L engines. Lowest mileage 03 I saw with problems was 1k & the highest I saw was 23k. They did not make it past that before it died completely. Unless that 03 stayed hidden in a vault all these years I seriously doubt it hasn’t been touched. LR “should” be able to run the VIN & confirm if it was repaired under warranty.

Old 08-05-2019 | 10:23 AM
TReK

That was due to a mis-alignment of the front cover dowels at the factory.,, If that is your current issue you are probably the last person on earth to have it surface. The oil pump is a normal wear item on these. 88,000 miles is over it's normal life expectancy. The only time I ever had the oil light flicker at operating temp was due to a cracked oil pump.

You are panicking prematurely... At this point it could be anything from a $0.25 O ring to a oil pump gear set which is still not expensive.

Old 08-05-2019 | 10:36 AM

Let’s hope it’s this simple I have been reading some lasted into 70-90 k miles within this vin issue. Rare but who knows
I just hope I haven’t caused any bearing damage as I was driving the oil light was flickering for about 1 kilometre
im in the process of researching shops in my area that are good with Landys

Old 08-05-2019 | 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

I have an 04 with an oil light issue. It only comes on under 1,000RPM, and the engine never ticks, knocks, or sounds like it is running without oil. I bought it knowing it had this issue due the rest of the D2 being as close to brand new as you’ll find, it’s an S with 7 seats, and in Vienna Green with a black interior. I have a perfectly good 4.6L with a crower cam in my shop waiting to be installed.

I tried a different front cover, I verified the O-Ring, and the pickup tube was spotless, then I looked up at the cam bearings & #3 is sitting maybe 2-3mm back further than the others. I can drive that 04 fine as long as I give it a little gas at a stop light. The oil light never flickers or comes on unless I am under 1,000RPM.

I will install my other 4.6L this fall, then tear down it’s original 4.6L and fix the cam bearings. I bought the 04 as a time capsule so I drive the 99 & 02 the most. I’ve toyed with the idea of selling the 04 with the 4.6L tossed into the back for 10k, but then I see 04’s that look awful for 6-8k so I’ll just hang onto it.

Old 08-05-2019 | 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I have an 04 with an oil light issue. It only comes on under 1,000RPM, and the engine never ticks, knocks, or sounds like it is running without oil. I bought it knowing it had this issue due the rest of the D2 being as close to brand new as you’ll find, it’s an S with 7 seats, and in Vienna Green with a black interior. I have a perfectly good 4.6L with a crower cam in my shop waiting to be installed.

I tried a different front cover, I verified the O-Ring, and the pickup tube was spotless, then I looked up at the cam bearings & #3 is sitting maybe 2-3mm back further than the others. I can drive that 04 fine as long as I give it a little gas at a stop light. The oil light never flickers or comes on unless I am under 1,000RPM.

I will install my other 4.6L this fall, then tear down it’s original 4.6L and fix the cam bearings. I bought the 04 as a time capsule so I drive the 99 & 02 the most. I’ve toyed with the idea of selling the 04 with the 4.6L tossed into the back for 10k, but then I see 04’s that look awful for 6-8k so I’ll just hang onto it.

That’s going to be the plan. I will inspected the bearings and see what up with the oil pump and see if the front cover is scored

it falls within the vin range of bad front cover
when I bough it I called the dealer to get a history on service performed
there was things like water leaks door actuator head gaskets done at 50 k but no mention of any oil pump or anything like that
this thing was under warranty and dealer serviced until 2014

Old 08-05-2019 | 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

That would be the Lone Survivor for sure if it was never touched!

Old 08-05-2019 | 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Best4x4

curious as to how many miles you have put on it in this condition. i am having he same thing happen with the oil light under 1000 RPM. the truck still pulls strong and drives great and there is no engine noise. well, other than the noises it's always made.

Old 08-05-2019 | 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

I've done maybe 6k with it like that. Not a lot as like I said I don't drive it often. The guy I bought it from had a written service receipt showing "oil light flashes at idle" then it goes on to say they connected a mechanical oil pressure gauge and the engine had 10-12 PSI once it was warm. He probably put 8k on it like that as he owned it for 4 years. Engine is extremely quiet minus a very small exhaust leak on the drivers side down pipe connection (stud broke off). So say 14k, and I'm running 15/40w oil which didn't seem to make any difference vs his 10/40w he was using before I bought it.

Old 08-07-2019 | 07:10 AM

Quick update
Landy shop said it’s a broken oil pump they told me it’s hard to know for sure if any bearing damage but they don’t hear or see anything wrong
they will replace the oil pump and go from there

The following 3 users liked this post by redwhitekat:
H Hill (01-22-2024), jastutte (08-07-2019), Richard Gallant (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019 | 07:39 AM
TReK

Good to hear it was less than feared.

Quick Reply: Intermittent oil light at idle