Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent oil light at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019 | 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by WTaylor05
So I got the verdict from the LR Shop. Talked to the owner himself. They manually checked the truck's oil pressure, which all checked out to be fine, except at hot idle. Remember, there were literally no other symptoms except for the oil light. The only things he said he has seen make the oil light come on are the dreaded cam #3 bearing being slipped out or the oil pump gears and valves. He did say they would have to drop the oil pan to do the inspection, but since there were literally no other options and since it's been a hot summer here in Denver, we're going to make the switch to 15W-40 from SAE 5W-30 and see how that goes. Apparently LR decided to do away with the oil temperature regulation system with the 03 and 04 DII's, which leads to these problems.

Soooooooo, I'm going with the oil change, hoping for the best, and possibly looking into selling it.

So far on this truck I've done valve covers and gaskets, ignition coils, spark plugs, disabled superlock, resealed the 4x4 transfer case, radiator flush with hoses changed, front driveshaft rebuilt w/ tranny fluid flushed.
Thanks to the dude up top advising to get out before I end up doing a full rebuild, I'm definitely more than one foot out the door.

I tried the thicker oil. Don’t waste your money
get them to change front cover and oil pump. That should fix it.

Old 08-09-2019 | 11:51 PM
|
6th Gear

Yeah, I mean they tested all of the pressures, said it wasn't likely to be the oil pump. Since they're gonna change the oil anyway, I'll have to call them first thing on Monday morning and see if they can inspect the cam bearing and maybe the front cover if they're gonna be down there anyways. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-19-2024 | 04:32 PM
Drifting
Default Joining the club of oil light low rpms 04 4.6l

Cold fine. Operating temp qhether in drive or idle if rpma drop below 750 the pil light starts to glow new oil pump didn't aolve this. But I've been running g with this since a big snow storm in 2013 31 inches. Was used as a shuttle for medical personnel for a hospital to bring staff home or go get them. So possibly overworked it and as I read a cam or nu.ber 3 if that's common could be the culprit. Alternator just died and nor rebuilding it. And rhe bracket had a long standing crack. Maybe it's time for the big tsar down. Oil pressure is always lower after warmup still. 20/50 didn't resolve. Aensors all checked. And Frame is at 60% from rust due to since my shoulder blew out I haven't annually sprayed it. Since 2019 so it's getting eaten alive. Could just run it til it dies too. And hope to find another that just has body damage I can swap parts as I really like these trucks. Love hate relationship.