Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod to Disc Changer

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Ipod to Disc Changer

2003 Discovery II. When I bought the truck it was missing the disc changer cartridge. There is nothing more than an empty box below the passenger seat. Is there a way to wire and Ipod to the harness that leads to the disc changer. All I'd want is power and sound. I don't need to have the controls on the screen. Id just like to be able to select music on the Ipod, and have it play and charge through the system. Was thinking I could splice an old Ipod cable into the CD changer harness.

Any ideas?

Old 03-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

You can buy a CD magazine from AB or on Ebay. Paul Grant also sells them when he parts out Rovers.
paulgrant@mac.com

Old 03-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes you can wire an iPod to the cd changer harness. In fact I just did it today using this website: AUX Cable

Old 03-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

I of course do not know your budget, but go to Grom Audio online and check out their Bluetooth unit that attaches to your factory radio in place of the CD changer. You will not only be able to play music from your phone with no cables; you will also get hands-free calling. I've had mine for a few years now and I love it.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
Yes you can wire an iPod to the cd changer harness. In fact I just did it today using this website: AUX Cable
This setup is for system with factory navigation. For this to work, you must first see if your stereo has the aux function, by holding the tone button for few seconds and see if it goes to the hidden aux mode. If it does not(I have read only the navi systems have this), then you will have to go with the grom system that fools the head unit into thinking the cdchanger is hooked up.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I just did it by hacking into the wires under the seat and putting a ⅛ plug in. However: I do need to keep a cd playing to to keep the head unit thinking everything is all right, if there's no cd it cuts out.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
I just did it by hacking into the wires under the seat and putting a ⅛ plug in. However: I do need to keep a cd playing to to keep the head unit thinking everything is all right, if there's no cd it cuts out.

I don't have a CD player in the head unit. I was thinking of trying to splice an I phone cable into the CD player wiring harness.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
That's how I did mine, only from behind the radio and using 1/8 ( 2.8 mm ) jack.
Just wondering if the OP can choose the CD option if there is no headplayer. For the same reason that we need to have the
CD playing to get an audio input recognized by the car radio. The lack of other inputs coming from a head player may ( such as which disc is playing, track info etc. may put your radio into a fault mode resulting in no audio. Not 100% sure about this but i strongly suspect it will happen.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

I've been using the cassette deck option. Best Buy, Amazon or whoever sells cassette tapes with a lead that plugs into your iPhone's headphone jack. The sound is quite astonishing. The cassette adapters run between 10 & 14 bucks.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:47 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can get a cable to plug in under the seat and yes you put your stereo on CD mode to get the input

Quick Reply: Ipod to Disc Changer