Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue unlocking door manually

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 05:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Issue unlocking door manually

Just recently, my key has not been working when I try to manually unlock the door. This has generally been the only way I unlock - my key fob is notoriously unreliable to unlock by button. I don’t even lock the truck now as I may spend 10 minutes fiddling and massaging the fob to coax the door to unlock. Any ideas?

Thanks,

DRW

Old 11-13-2020, 06:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

The Disco keys are notorious for wearing, lock cylinders too. If you can find a locksmith that is willing to finesse to make it work for you it might the cheapest. If they can't get it working, you can give the LR dealer the VIN and they can order a new key that may work better. If that does not improve it, you may need a lock cylinder as it is possible the tumblers have worn out. Low mileage truck is the best bet for low cost but you would need a ignition lock cylinder as well as the door cylinder, new from LR would obviously be a bit more.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:00 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Often the plastic bits in the fob wear out, that can either be the nub on the back of your unlock button, or the actual button on the surface mount switch the button touches. Both of those issues are fixable depending on your skill level.

If it is just a worn out nub on the inside your fob plastic case you can order a cheap replacement fob case online, exact duplicate for around $10 if I remember correctly, then swap the plastic outer shell over to your circuit board/key.

If it is a broken button on the surface mount switch which is soldered to the small PC board inside the fob then you can order a new generic microswitch of the same size and solder it in place of the broken one. I don't know the parts numbers but I have read of several people doing it.

I did the first method successfully. My plastic fob case had worn out, the switch inside was ok. I could tell because the actual rubber button insert in the plastic fob front was physically coming apart, I could peel it back and see inside. However the fob does come apart at the seam. You would need to take it apart if you were to replace it anyway.

Putting the old board and key into a new plastic fob case doesn't require reprogramming the key.

If you have the broken microswitch problem and don't want to replace the switch then your only choice is to buy a new fob with internals and pay to have the blade cut and the key programmed to the car.

Replacement fobs with blank key blade and internals were available online at around $125.00 last time I looked.

Any dealer can sell you a hard key cut to your vehicle, no electronics, with VIN and proof of ownership. I believe dealerships are out of fobs with keys but you could get lucky. That would cost you around $350 if you can find one.

This is all assuming you have tried replacing the battery in the fob...

Worn lock cylinder whole other known issue.

Last edited by Dave03S; 11-13-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Dave is spot on here as well. Actually recently got a truck where only the unlock button on the fob was non-functional. The rubber button portion of the cover was gone, and looking at the circuit board the cover over the microswitch was gone. I got a key at the junkyard with fob and pulled the cover off the microswitch as well as the rubber internal button and the metal internal spring. Put them all on my fob circuit board in a new housing and it works fine.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

I had recent experience with both of these issues. Actually just finished up yesterday. First I
Purchased blank key and key fob shell because my key fob buttons disintegrated. Less than $20 from Atlantic British. I replaced the ignition cylinder about a year ago so the blank key was different. Just cut it off so it’s a key fob only.
Next, I actually did not have a door lock key, threw it away by accident, only key fob for about a year now. I removed the door handle and took to a locksmith. Couple of hours and they made a key. No reprogramming necessary for any of the following.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

I think everyone is replying about the key fob here, but it sounds like you have another issue. Are you saying that when you turn the key in the drivers door lock (exterior of the car, in the door handle), that nothing happens? It just spins?

If so, then this is what you need --
Door Lock Rod Door Lock Rod

Basically there is a pot metal rod that goes from the rear of that lock cylinder into the door lock mechanism deeper in the door. It breaks. The only fix from Land Rover is to buy a whole new door handle, switch your keyed lock cylinder out, and install (300 bucks?) -- but several companies including the one linked above have come out with just a replacement rod.

You can google to see instructions on how to repair but basically you remove the interior door panel, the exterior door handle, reinstall the lock rod with a press-fit roll pin (pictured in that link above)

Old 11-20-2020, 07:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No, lock doesn’t spin. It’s not that issue (had that before on another truck). It’s the actual key, and the FOB button is sloppy.