Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's windy in my Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005 | 11:10 PM
|
Overlanding
Default It's windy in my Disco II

Has anyone had a problem with draftiness inside your truck? The driver's side window vibrates when I'm on the freeway and there's a definite draft seaping in on that side. The window doesn't vibrate to the point of rattling, but the movement is visible. When I was stopped at a traffic light today, the wind was seaping into the vehicle. I could feel the air coming in from the top and sides of the window.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

Mike

Old 01-30-2005 | 05:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: It's windy in my Disco II

Quite common on the defenders.. My entire top of the door moves and you can see daylight through the gap.. but then again, my doors are in need of replacement..

If the draught is coming around the glass area, check to make sure the glass is rising fully into place, and is not been prevented from entering the slot by a stone and such like.

If it is entering the slot okay, check how tight the rubber seal is around the glass, if it is worn and loose, then the only remedy is to replace the seal.

If the draught is actually coming from between the edge of the door and the body work, then you can make adjustment to the door seating on the hinges to provide a tighter fit. It would also be worth checking the conidition of the rubber seals in this area and replace if worn.

Old 01-30-2005 | 08:51 PM
|
Overlanding

I looked at the rubber seals and they are in good condition. The window appears to be going all the way into place, so I guess that leaves the door seating. I'll take a look at that. Thanks.

--Mike

Old 02-01-2005 | 02:05 AM
6th Gear

Mike:

I have a 96 disco and I have a similar wind problem. I find it is especially bad on the drivers side when I have a crosswind moving right to left across the car. It sounds like I'm driving through a tornado. There have been times where the driver's side window has been moving so much that I've driven for stretches with one hand on the window, as crazy as that sounds. But every time the dealer looks at it, he says its fine and he can't reproduce the noise. I've taken the same steps as you have and even looked at the door seating, which seems ok. It may just be something you have to live with if your in a windy place.

My only remedy has been to turn the radio up loud enough so that I can't hear it...

--Whodey

Old 02-04-2005 | 06:57 PM
|
Overlanding

I crank the CD player up too, but when it's chilly, I make sure to have a jacket in the car.

Old 02-09-2005 | 02:57 AM
|
Overlanding

How do I adjust the door seating on the hinges to provide a tigher fit. The vibration and draught are getting on my nerves.

--M

Old 02-09-2005 | 03:20 AM
Rock Crawling

you could try going the classy route by duct taping a rag, like an old AC/DC concert tshirt or something, on the doorsill.

Old 02-11-2005 | 05:04 AM
|
Overlanding

I'm curious is anyone knows the process for realigning a door.

Old 02-11-2005 | 03:56 PM
Rock Crawling

well, as both my landies have the hinges on the outside fo the door, mine are easy to adjust...

I would assume that you can undo the bolt fixing and move them slightly and re-tighten them. Or you may need to adjust the striking plate first...

Old 02-11-2005 | 11:39 PM
Winching

Mike,
I could feel the air coming in from the top and sides of the window.
There is A complicated way of adjusting the window run channels that involves removing the door panel. Frankly, it is A pain and doesn't usually work any way. The real world fix may seem scary at first but trust me it works. 1. Put window down. 2. open door and place A dollar bill between the door and the door seal. 3. Close door so that Dollar is trapped between door and seal. If you can pull out the bill easily it needs to be adjusted. Also you can see how much the upper part of the door frame is compressing the seal with the window down. To adjust, put window down, open door, put your knee on the top of the door panel and pull the upper frame to you. Adjusting it in slightly. Keep adjusting until you can see the seal is getting compressed significantly and/or the bill has some drag on it.

The other adj is the door striker. It requires A Torx bit to move the pedestal in the door jam. But the first adj should do the trick. Let us know how you make out.

Bait

Quick Reply: It's windy in my Disco II