Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Lube?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy Lube?

I'm taking a small road trip this Thanksgiving, but anticipate having to do an oil change or two.

I won't have time to do it myself and won't be able to find a dealer on the way. Should I have any reservations using a Jiffy Lube or similar?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Jiffy Lube?

Yes, have MANY reservations. They use crappy filters, usually crappy oil unless you specify otherwise and they are generally a bad idea. I've known several people who've lost motors or had damage due to forgeting to replace oil, loose oil filters, they don't know the vehicle and try to "check the air filter" destroying the MAF in the process because theydon't know what they're doing(this actually happened to a close friend). If anything, take a mobile 1 or K and N filter w/ you and have a local auto shop change the oil. I would sooner take a hammer to my engine than use them. Hope that's a good enoughanswer

Old 11-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Any of the quick lube places use junk for oil filters so as already mentioned buy a couple Mobil 1 or K&N 3001 oil filters to have them use. make sure they check nothing else.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling

I knew you guys would have a good answer. Thank you for the quick replies!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at the parts store the other day and one of these quick lube places was calling to get a price on a replacement engine that they killed when they forgot to fill it with oil. I'm sure it is easier than you would think to overlook tightening a drainplug or even filling it with oil when things get really busy all of the sudden and you're working on more than one thing at a time, especially when the brighter mechanics don't usually work there (no offence to any jiffy lube workers, I'm sure there's some good ones but you probably don't do oil changes).
Also, there's a reason why they usually don't charge much (poor quality products and labor). BUT, it is probably better than no oil change at all (although I have changed my oil in the street with empty, cut up milk jugsrather than taking it to these places).

Old 11-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had very good luck with Grease Monkey here in Colorado over the years for oil changes, trans flushes, cooling flushes, filters, etc. I generally take in the filter of my choice and let them handle it from there. They use inspection lacquer on the drain plugs so they can be verified for tightness.

Had a very bad experience with Wal Mart auto center once but no problems with Grease Monkey. I don't mind checking the drain plug if I have to but I never have the time any more to do the full fluid changes myself.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

I took my pickup into one relatively recently...and that will be the last time. After they did their 10,000 point check, and were going over the list with me, they told me my windshield wipers were fine. I said "really?" The girl looked at me funny....the passenger side wiper was missing. I expect I may end up resorting to the aforementioned milk jug method for my pickup. My Disco however gets treated to a WONDERFUL independent Land Rover mechanic.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They will strip your oil drain outlet too. you + import car does not equal quickie oil change marts.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Mudding

Ive had many wonderfulexperiences with the All Tune and Tube place I take my truck with. They guarantee all their work and they even take me back to school when I drop my truck off to get worked on. I won't take them in for heavy duty things like idler pullys and stuff, but for routine maintenance and fluids, they are very very knowledgeable about everything!

:]

Happy Rovering!

John-Robert

Old 11-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jwfuller

They will strip your oil drain outlet too. you + import car does not equal quickie oil change marts.
[sm=smiley29.gif] They stripped mine too not too long ago...

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube?